Re: [XTalk] Congratulations to Stephen Carlson

    Message 1 of 6 , Apr 20, 2012
      At 08:25 PM 4/14/2012, Mark Goodacre wrote:
      >For many years now, list members will have appreciated Stephen
      >Carlson's contributions.

      Indeed, I have!

      > I am sure that you would all like to join me
      >in taking a moment to congratulate him on the successful defense of
      >his PhD here at Duke this week. His thesis title was "The Text of
      >Galatians and Its History". Those of you who know Stephen's work will
      >not be surprised to hear that his thesis was outstanding, and his
      >defense of it exemplary. If we awarded "honors" here at Duke, or
      >"graduation with distinction", this thesis would have received that
      >award. Very many congratulations, Stephen, on a richly deserved PhD,
      >and all the very best for your future!

      Stephen,
      Congratulations! Now, how about sharing some of that with us? :-)
      And also, what's next for you? A teaching job?

      BTW, Stephen, it is a measure of your stature
      that you have lured Tom Kopecek out of lurkerdom to add his kudos.
      If we had a category for Favorite Senior
      Academics on this list, I would nominate him for
      it. There are a number of folks on this list who
      have been my mentors, and Goodacre, Carlson, and
      Kopecek are among them. Thanks!

      Bob Schacht
      Northern Arizona University

      Message 2 of 6 , Apr 20, 2012
        At 05:41 AM 4/15/2012, Thomas Kopecek wrote:
        >If and when (hopefully the latter) Stephen's dissertation is
        >published, I'm sure there are many of us who would love to read it.
        >Hence, an email to the list indicating where it will be available
        >would be most appreciated, particularly by this old man. Excellent
        >scholarship, I've found, works better to ease pain than the various
        >foods recommended to the 'smitten'--and certainly better than the
        >pharmacy industry's pain medications: it acts salvare.
        >
        >Blessings to all,
        >
        >Tom

        I second that motion!

        Bob Schacht
        Northern Arizona University

      • Stephen Carlson
        Message 3 of 6 , Apr 21, 2012
          Thanks for the kind words. I have chosen to make my dissertation available
          on ProQuest/UMI and Duke Space
          http://dukespace.lib.duke.edu/dspace/browse without
          embargo. As soon as I notice that it's up, I'll announce it.

          Stephen

          Stephen C. Carlson
          Ph.D., Duke University

        • David Mealand
          Message 4 of 6 , Aug 4, 2012
            This announcement was issued recently by Corpus Christi College, Oxford
            --------
            We were saddened to learn today of the death of The Revd. Christopher
            Evans FBA, Emeritus Fellow, Chaplain and Divinity Lecturer at Corpus
            (1948-58) at the age of 102 on 30 July. His funeral will be held on
            Monday, 6th August at 12.15 at All Saints, Cuddesdon.
            ---------

            Prof. Evans also later held the Lightfoot chair at the University
            of Durham, and then a chair in New Testament in the University of London,
            King's College.

            ---------
            David Mealand, University of Edinburgh

            Scotland, with registration number SC005336.