Congratulations to Stephen Carlson

  • Mark Goodacre
    Message 1 of 6 , Apr 14, 2012
      For many years now, list members will have appreciated Stephen
      Carlson's contributions. I am sure that you would all like to join me
      in taking a moment to congratulate him on the successful defense of
      his PhD here at Duke this week. His thesis title was "The Text of
      Galatians and Its History". Those of you who know Stephen's work will
      not be surprised to hear that his thesis was outstanding, and his
      defense of it exemplary. If we awarded "honors" here at Duke, or
      "graduation with distinction", this thesis would have received that
      award. Very many congratulations, Stephen, on a richly deserved PhD,
      and all the very best for your future!

      Mark Goodacre

      --
      Mark Goodacre
      Duke University

      http://www.markgoodacre.org
    • Thomas Kopecek
      Message 2 of 6 , Apr 15, 2012
        If and when (hopefully the latter) Stephen's dissertation is published, I'm sure there are many of us who would love to read it. Hence, an email to the list indicating where it will be available would be most appreciated, particularly by this old man. Excellent scholarship, I've found, works better to ease pain than the various foods recommended to the 'smitten'--and certainly better than the pharmacy industry's pain medications: it acts salvare.

        Blessings to all,

        Tom

        _________________
        Thomas A. Kopecek, Ph.D. (Brown)
        Professor Emeritus
        Central College
        Pella, Iowa

        Contact at Home:
        1536 Elk Horn Drive
        Roberts Creek Lake
        Otley, Iowa 50214-8513
        Landline: 641-627-5692
        Cell: 641-204-9392

        Message 3 of 6 , Apr 20, 2012
          At 08:25 PM 4/14/2012, Mark Goodacre wrote:
          >For many years now, list members will have appreciated Stephen
          >Carlson's contributions.

          Indeed, I have!

          > I am sure that you would all like to join me
          >in taking a moment to congratulate him on the successful defense of
          >his PhD here at Duke this week. His thesis title was "The Text of
          >Galatians and Its History". Those of you who know Stephen's work will
          >not be surprised to hear that his thesis was outstanding, and his
          >defense of it exemplary. If we awarded "honors" here at Duke, or
          >"graduation with distinction", this thesis would have received that
          >award. Very many congratulations, Stephen, on a richly deserved PhD,
          >and all the very best for your future!

          Stephen,
          Congratulations! Now, how about sharing some of that with us? :-)
          And also, what's next for you? A teaching job?

          BTW, Stephen, it is a measure of your stature
          that you have lured Tom Kopecek out of lurkerdom to add his kudos.
          If we had a category for Favorite Senior
          Academics on this list, I would nominate him for
          it. There are a number of folks on this list who
          have been my mentors, and Goodacre, Carlson, and
          Kopecek are among them. Thanks!

          Bob Schacht
          Northern Arizona University

          Message 4 of 6 , Apr 20, 2012
            At 05:41 AM 4/15/2012, Thomas Kopecek wrote:
            >If and when (hopefully the latter) Stephen's dissertation is
            >published, I'm sure there are many of us who would love to read it.
            >Hence, an email to the list indicating where it will be available
            >would be most appreciated, particularly by this old man. Excellent
            >scholarship, I've found, works better to ease pain than the various
            >foods recommended to the 'smitten'--and certainly better than the
            >pharmacy industry's pain medications: it acts salvare.
            >
            >Blessings to all,
            >
            >Tom

            I second that motion!

            Bob Schacht
            Northern Arizona University

          • Stephen Carlson
            Message 5 of 6 , Apr 21, 2012
              Thanks for the kind words. I have chosen to make my dissertation available
              on ProQuest/UMI and Duke Space
              http://dukespace.lib.duke.edu/dspace/browse without
              embargo. As soon as I notice that it's up, I'll announce it.

              Stephen

              Stephen C. Carlson
              Ph.D., Duke University

            • David Mealand
              Message 6 of 6 , Aug 4, 2012
                This announcement was issued recently by Corpus Christi College, Oxford
                --------
                We were saddened to learn today of the death of The Revd. Christopher
                Evans FBA, Emeritus Fellow, Chaplain and Divinity Lecturer at Corpus
                (1948-58) at the age of 102 on 30 July. His funeral will be held on
                Monday, 6th August at 12.15 at All Saints, Cuddesdon.
                ---------

                Prof. Evans also later held the Lightfoot chair at the University
                of Durham, and then a chair in New Testament in the University of London,
                King's College.

                ---------
                David Mealand, University of Edinburgh

                Scotland, with registration number SC005336.