RE: [XTalk] Re: Galilee and Judah

    Message 1 of 11 , Apr 9, 2012
      Thanks to Mark (previous email) and David (below) for their helpful comments.
      To add another complexity regarding the scope of who was Jewish, I
      suspect that the scope differed depending on whether or not you were
      a resident of Judea. That is, Judeans might have reserved that label
      for themselves, especially before 70 AD (viz. John 1:46), whereas
      Samaritans and Galileans might have chosen to identify themselves as
      Ioudaioi in the larger sense.

      Also, would Antipas have used the term Ioudaioi in reference to his
      own citizens?

      Is Josephus ambiguous in the same way?

      Bob Schacht
      Northern Arizona University