RE: [XTalk] Re: Galilee and Judah

  • David Mealand
    Message 1 of 11 , Apr 9, 2012
      I think the relation between Galilee and Judah changed
      several times. Galilee was annexed by Judah at least
      by the time of Alexander Jannaeus. After the end of the
      Hasmonaean rule Herod ruled the whole territory as a
      client king subordinate to Rome. After his death Galilee
      was split off again, and given to Antipas as part of his tetrarchy.
      So around 4 BCE to 41 CE Galilee was separately ruled, as were
      some other areas.

      Later on Herod Agrippa was well in, first with Gaius, then
      with Claudius, and was given, first one of the tetrarchies
      then Galilee, then Judaea and Samaria. But when Herod Agrippa
      died Galilee went under direct Roman rule along with much of
      the rest, though later again (c.61 CE) his son Agrippa II did
      get some of Galilee.

      So whether someone "should have" described Galilee as part of Judah
      would depend partly on the time written about, and partly on the
      time of writing, in order to be correct politically (as opposed to
      being politically correct). On the other hand popular usage
      might have been looser, but given the shifting pattern above
      it might be hard to decide if someone is being loose, or being
      correct either with reference to their own period, or to the period
      described.

      So all this may clarify some things but make others more murky.

      David M.

      ---------
      David Mealand, University of Edinburgh

      Scotland, with registration number SC005336.
      Message 2 of 11 , Apr 9, 2012
        Thanks to Mark (previous email) and David (below) for their helpful comments.
        To add another complexity regarding the scope of who was Jewish, I
        suspect that the scope differed depending on whether or not you were
        a resident of Judea. That is, Judeans might have reserved that label
        for themselves, especially before 70 AD (viz. John 1:46), whereas
        Samaritans and Galileans might have chosen to identify themselves as
        Ioudaioi in the larger sense.

        Also, would Antipas have used the term Ioudaioi in reference to his
        own citizens?

        Is Josephus ambiguous in the same way?

        Bob Schacht
        Northern Arizona University