[XTalk] Re: Kingdom of God as Wisdom

  • Nathan McGovern
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 30, 1999
      >That wisdom is a treasure in Proverbs does not necessarily mean that
      >treasure indicates wisdom in general. To me the the parable indicates that
      >to participation in the Kingdom must be redeemed by disposing of all of
      >one's earthly possessions. Wealth is a decisive impediment if you've decided
      >to participate in the kingdom, i.e., rely exclusively on divine sustenance.

      No, wisdom being treasure in Proverbs does not necessarily mean that every
      treasure indicates wisdom. However, the fact that the parable of the
      hidden treasure describes KofG as treasure in a way very similar to the
      description of wisdom as treasure in Proverbs does suggest that there might
      be a connection. That and the fact that New Testament sayings often and
      repeatedly parallel Old Testament references to Wisdom.

      And, yes, I agree wholeheartedly that the parable also suggests that one
      should sell all his possessions to enter the KofG. It's one of many
      sayings and parables in the New Testament reflecting an Ebionite way of
      thinking.

      Nathan McGovern
      Franklin and Marshall College