RE: [XTalk] Pentecost and charismata

  • celucien_joseph
    Message 1 of 6 , Mar 4, 2012
      -----Original Message-----
      From: David Mealand <D.Mealand@...>
      Sent: March 04, 2012 2:10 PM
      To: crosstalk2@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: RE: [XTalk] Pentecost and charismata

      Seem to remember this book looked at routinization in NT period:
      The Pauline Churches: A Socio-historical Study of
      Institutionalization in the Pauline and Deutero-Pauline
      Writings By: MacDonald, Margaret Y.. Cambridge Univ Pr, 1988

      It is also worth considering if Acts dates from a later more ordered
      phase just why it describes the very early period quite as it does.

      David M.

      ---------
      David Mealand, University of Edinburgh

      Scotland, with registration number SC005336.

    • ph.maertens
      Message 2 of 6 , Mar 5, 2012
        Interesting question. My guess is that in the initial stage there exist high expectations which are not always fulfilled. In the case of Primitive Christianity, this would be the messianic hope. With the passing of time comes the realization that the expectations will not be realized in a near future. This would have an impact on how members relate to the group and would lead to a remodeling of the identity of the group. Thus members would reconsider their commitment to the group, giving it less priority than before, or dropping out altogether. The group itself would reconsider its role / place in society and vis-à-vis its members and probably readjust its expectations. At this point, I guess, it would become more institutionalized. This in turn would lead to a situation considered deviant compared to the initial “mythological” situation. In order to resolve this tension, people would try to restore the group “as it was in the beginning” (I wonder if this pattern may be approached to the views of Mircea Eliade, The myth of eternal return), taking up its most salient features. In the case of Christian movements, this would be the Pentecostal conditions with the high messianic hope.

        The question remains to know under what conditions members / groups return to the initial situation. One possible answer lies in the influence of newcomers who would be more sensitive to the discrepancies between the ideal situation described in the fundamental texts and the actual situation. Another one is the consider the general context. It could be that in situation of crises people will be more willing to take their commitment to the group ideology serious. This could lead to a sharper comparison between the fundamental texts and the official discourse of the group.

        As I said, this is just my guess, based partly on what I recall reading about social psychology and group dynamics. Maybe a good place to start with along these lines are the following:

        Charles Stangor, Social Groups in Action and Interaction, New York / Hove; Psychology Press, 2004

        Michael A. Hogg, Dominic Abrams, Social Identifications. A Social Psychology of Intergroup Relations and Group Processes, London / New York: Routledge, 1998

        Michael A. Hogg, R. Scott Tindale (eds), Blackwell Handbook of Social Psychology: Group Processes, Malden / Oxford: Blackwell, 2001, 86-106

        Sunny greetings from the Algarve, Portugal

        Philip Maertens