RE: [XTalk] Judas and the sicarii ?

  • Dennis Goffin
    Message 1 of 15 , Feb 10, 2012
      Thanks to David, we have established that sicarius does exist in transliterated Greek form from the time of Acts and the writings of Josephus, which I would judge to be approximately contemporary. Greek, however was not the earliest language in which anecdotes of Jesus and his followers were told. I submit therefore that it is unnecessary to require proof of the Greek word's existence at the time of Jesus. Peter's nickname Cephas was after all Aramaic. All that is rquired is to be able to accept that Judah's nickname in Aramaic, among his companions was something like "the blade" for this to be taken over into earlier accounts which finally were subsumed into the Gospels we have. The desire not to upset the Romans, as in the case of "zealot" would have been sufficient motive for the subsequent obfuscation.
      Dennis--------------------Dennis GoffinChorleywood UK
      To: crosstalk2@yahoogroups.com
      From: D.Mealand@...
      Date: Fri, 10 Feb 2012 12:37:59 +0000
      Subject: RE: [XTalk] Judas and the sicarii ?

      Sicarius was used in latin to refer to an assassin

      (sica being a curved dagger). The term was used

      in latin at least as early as Cicero, so 1st C BCE.

      It appears in Greek in Acts 21.38 and in Josephus

      with reference to the troubles in the time of Felix

      and Festus i.e. after 52 CE, around 20 years or so

      after the demise of Judas.

      Does anyone have to hand the earliest instance of

      the use of this latin loan word in Greek? Does someone

      have a pre-Neronian example? That would seem to be

      a relevant piece of evidence which might either support

      or tend to disconfirm some of the assumptions behind

      the discussion.

      David M.

      ---------

      David Mealand, University of Edinburgh

      Scotland, with registration number SC005336.

    • Jack Kilmon
      Message 2 of 15 , Feb 10, 2012
        Good Morning, Dennis:
        Ossuaries were "family things" and family members would not refer to their
        fathers, husbands, sons, etc as "Dennis from Hertfordshire" or "Jack from
        Houston." Nicknames were given by family members, hence understandable on
        ossuaries. Nicknames were also used in social groups to distinguish one
        Yahosef, Ya'qub, Yeshua, Yehudah or Shymeon (most popular name) from
        another. One example of an ossuarial inscription giving a location is the
        "Simon of Cyrene" tomb excavated by Sukenik and Avigad in 1941. The ossuary
        of Simon's daughter Sara bears the Greek inscription "Sara (of) Simon of
        Ptolemais" Ptolemais is one of the 5 main cities in Cyrenaica. Other than
        Caiaphas, this is one of the only ossuaries most probably of a known New
        Testament figure given the additional evidence of an ossuary in that tomb
        for Simon's known son, Alexander. I realize cynicism is the current
        scholarly fad but you can only stretch coincidence so far. There is also a
        point where you have to appeal to the cultural anthropology of the time and
        place and nicknames were of family or social group use. I cannot fathom
        "Jude the guy with a knife" when there is a village called Kirioth just down
        the road. The Hebrew ISH Kirioth instead of the Aramaic Kirioth-itha
        suggests to me that it is a designator used by the family for a long time,
        perhaps some priests in the family...IF, again Judas "Iscariot" was an
        historical figure.

        There are so few clues, either archaeological or textual, about the
        prosopography of the New Testament, including Jesus himself, that we have to
        sink ourselves into the social and cultural anthropology and languages of
        the time.

        Best Regards,
        Jack

        Jack Kilmon
        Houston, TX

        From: jkilmon@...
        Date: Thu, 9 Feb 2012 15:07:55 -0600

        Hi Ron, Dennis and Sid:

        The name of this person, if indeed he was historical, would have been

        Yehudah Bar Shymeon under normal convention of the times. It would also not

        be uncommon for him to be identified by his place of origin, "feller from

        Kerioth" much like Yeshua haNotsry rather than the name on his driver's

        license, Yeshua Bar Yahosef. Maryam Migdal-ytha, Yahosef haRamathaim,

        Shymeon Kanan-ytha. Although Aramaic was the common language, Hebrew was

        preserved in certain social pockets like the yahad at Qumran or the Beyt

        Hillel or Shammai, in place names and in personal names, as the IAA

        collection of ossuaries reveal. I would bet my matonnaise farm that these

        guys didn't sashay about Roman occupied Palestine in the 1st century with a

        name like "Jude, the guy with a big knife under his tunic for killing

        Romans" nor "Simon, a card-carrying zealot." Almost certainly they used

        their ordinary patronyms or toponyms but the NT books are overflowing with

        Ya'qubs (Jameses), Yahosef's (Josephs), Shymeons (Simon), Yehudahs

        (Jude/Judases) and Yeshua (Jesus) was the 6th most common name (Simon was

        the 1st). As I read the writings of the Gentile churchy types of later

        times, I can tell they were totally confused on which Jude, which James,

        which Simon was which. The first mention of our Judas, Ἰσκαριώτην (a Greek

        syntactic form of Ἰσκαριώθ) at Mark 3:19 in its Semitic form is an

        acceptable name and not a Latin loan. Among the multiple Ya'qubs (Jameses)

        I don't know if Jesus' brother was known as haTsaddik (the Righteous) and

        his two cousin/disciples as haGadol (the Great) and haZaor (the Lesser) or

        whether these are just back-reconstructions of Greek or Latin names given to

        them by the churchies to tell them apart. Even muckety-muck ecclesiastical

        types mix up the "Jameses" because some of them still get apoplectic over

        Jesus having siblings.

        I guess the bottom line is we don't know if this person was real (Jesus

        Barabbas wasn't, IMO), what his name was and how it was derived but "Judas,

        the knife" would have been crucified before Jesus was.

        Regards,

        Jack

        Jack Kilmon

        Houston, TX

        Message 3 of 15 , Feb 10, 2012
          Message 4 of 15 , Feb 10, 2012
            Bob:

            More likely this points to the fact that the meaning is really "man from Kerioth" as Jack has proposed.

            One other thing that is worth noting. For Iskariwth to be referring to sicarii we have some phonetic difficulties:

            1. The unnecessary addition of the "is-" on the front. This is more likely to be a hellenished version of "ish"
            2. The word "sicarios" has the strong iota between the sigma and the kappa, and that seems hard for me to imagine simply being elided.
            3. The form "iskariwth" has the long omega, which I guess could be an semitic feminine plural ending, but that seems odd.

            So what you would have to imagine is that (1) a Latin word (sikarius) had been Aramaized (no evidence that this Latin word did come over as a loan word in Aramaic -- I did a quick double check of Jastrow and couldn't see anythign quickly, but could stand to be corrected on this), (2) the loan word then went through some phonetic changes -- adding an "is- or ish-" on the front, and dropping a vowel in the middle, and then (3) that this then became the nickname for Judas in such a way that people knew he was really some kind of assassin or wielder of the short curved knife..

            I dunno. Sounds like the guy hailed from the town of kerioth.

            Mark A. Matson
            Milligan College
            Milligan College, TN
            At 09:16 AM 2/10/2012, Matson, Mark (Academic) wrote:
            >David:
            >
            >A quick check of TLG using search string "sikar" found extensive use
            >by Josephus (AJ and BJ), and then Acts 21:38, and then by church
            >historians and fathers (Eusebius, Origen, Chrysostom, etc...).
            >
            >Earlier than Josephus (and after in secular Greek authors) the
            >string returned primarily wlesikarpos.... where the search string is
            >buried in the middle of this word...
            >
            >Doesn't appear to have been much used outside of Josephus and later
            >fathers, and always to mean assassin.

            Oh boy. The implications of that information are pretty serious.
            Judas the Assassin? Maybe he did more than turn Jesus over to the Romans?

            Bob Schacht
            Northern Arizona University

            >Mark A. Matson
            >Milligan College, TN
            >http://www.milligan.edu/administrative/mmatson/personal.htm
          • Gary Greenberg
            Message 5 of 15 , Feb 10, 2012
              John indicates that Iscariot was a family name of some sort and that Judas’ father Simon was also an Iscariot. It seems unlikely that multiple family members would publicly be known by the same anti-Roman, and Herod or Pilate wouldn’t crack down. And how likely is it that a member of a family bitterly opposed to collaboration with the Romans would go to the Sadducee collaborators and work out a deal to betray a religious teacher who urges his followers to accept Pharisee teachings (per Matthew.)

              Gary
              Gary Greenberg
              Web site: Bible Myth and History

              Author of the following books