Re: [XTalk] The Jesus movement before the NT

  • Ronald Price
    Message 1 of 73 , Dec 12, 2011
      Michael Gamache wrote:

      > Is it not reasonable, considering the amount of "rabble rousing" described by
      > Josephus, as well as the number of people crucified (among other persecutions)
      > that the person whom the character of Jesus is based upon could have not been
      > a big deal at all.

      Michael,

      In the absence of any clarification, I will take "the person whom the
      character of Jesus is based upon" as a reference to the historical Jesus.

      Well I suppose anything is *possible*. But I don't see your suggestion as
      being likely.

      The label "Christ" (Messiah) has political overtones detrimental to the
      message of both Paul and Mark. So why would they use it if it were not
      already an established designation for Jesus? The label "Son of God" was
      more meaningful to both Paul (Rom 1:3-4) and Mark (Mk 15:39).

      Ron Price,

      Derbyshire, UK

      http://homepage.virgin.net/ron.price/

    • David Mealand
      Message 73 of 73 , Feb 16, 2012
        This topic ran for a while back in January.

        I have just seen a review of a book on Philo
        which gives particular attention to Philo's
        use of some passages from the haftarot which, it is
        argued, match part of a later cycle of such readings.
        Naomi Cohen, Philo's Scriptures ... (Brill 2007) is
        the book, and a very interesting and detailed review
        of it by Tzvee Zahavy is in Review of Rabbinic
        Judaism 15 (2012) 133-136.

        David M.

        ---------
        David Mealand, University of Edinburgh

        Scotland, with registration number SC005336.