RE: [XTalk] The Jesus movement before the NT

  • Lisbeth S. Fried
    Message 1 of 73 , Dec 9, 2011
      What is the evidence that Jesus' first followers, by that I assume his
      family, labeled him "Messiah?"
      Do we have anything that can be attributed to any of them?
      Are the letters of James and Jude considered authentic?
      Do Paul's references to the Jewish church indicate that this church believed
      this of him?

      Liz

      Lisbeth S. Fried, Ph.D.
      Visiting Scholar
      Department of Near Eastern Studies
      and the Frankel Center for Judaic Studies
      University of Michigan
      202 S. Thayer -- Room 4111
      Ann Arbor, MI 48104
      www.lizfried.com <http://www.lizfried.com/>

      I sent (too much) rain on one city, and sent no rain on another city; and
      still you did not return to me, says YHWH. (Amo 4:7-8 )

      _____

      Message 73 of 73 , Feb 16 10:50 AM
        This topic ran for a while back in January.

        I have just seen a review of a book on Philo
        which gives particular attention to Philo's
        use of some passages from the haftarot which, it is
        argued, match part of a later cycle of such readings.
        Naomi Cohen, Philo's Scriptures ... (Brill 2007) is
        the book, and a very interesting and detailed review
        of it by Tzvee Zahavy is in Review of Rabbinic
        Judaism 15 (2012) 133-136.

        David M.

        ---------
        David Mealand, University of Edinburgh

        Scotland, with registration number SC005336.