Re: [XTalk] The Jesus movement before the NT

  • Ronald Price
    Message 1 of 73 , Dec 9, 2011
      I had written:

      >> ... Barrie Wilson ... writes that the clearest exposition
      >> of the idea is to be found in the Psalms of Solomon. The Messiah must
      >> overthrow foreign rule, establish an independent Jewish state, be a
      >> Davidic
      >> king, and usher in universal peace, establishing the kingdom of God.

      David Cavanagh replied:

      > And, according to Wilson, Jesus presumably became a Christian Messiah
      > because he didn't do any of the above?

      David,

      Wilson (correctly, I believe) describes Jesus as a "Messiah claimant".

      The things listed above didn't happen, so it appears that Jesus was
      mistaken.

      Ron Price,

      Derbyshire, UK

      http://homepage.virgin.net/ron.price/

    • David Mealand
      Message 73 of 73 , Feb 16, 2012
        This topic ran for a while back in January.

        I have just seen a review of a book on Philo
        which gives particular attention to Philo's
        use of some passages from the haftarot which, it is
        argued, match part of a later cycle of such readings.
        Naomi Cohen, Philo's Scriptures ... (Brill 2007) is
        the book, and a very interesting and detailed review
        of it by Tzvee Zahavy is in Review of Rabbinic
        Judaism 15 (2012) 133-136.

        David M.

        ---------
        David Mealand, University of Edinburgh

        Scotland, with registration number SC005336.