Re: [XTalk] The Jesus movement before the NT

  • David Cavanagh
    Message 1 of 73 , Dec 9, 2011
      On 08/12/2011 20:59, Ronald Price wrote:

      > Dennis Goffin wrote:
      >
      > > You say "Jesus was recognized as the Jewish Messiah." What in your
      > view were
      > > the reasons why, and to what in the Hebrew Bible and/or the
      > intertestamental
      > > literature did he correspond in order to enable that recognition ?
      >
      > Dennis,
      >
      > It's a good question, but I don't yet have a clear view of what
      > first-century Jews would have thought of the role of the Messiah, nor
      > of the
      > specific sources on which their views would have been based. It's really a
      > question for someone who knows ancient Judaism much better than I do.
      >
      > That said, I have today borrowed a library book which may have the answer.
      > It is "How Jesus became Christian", by a Canadian Professor of Humanities
      > and Religious Studies, Barrie Wilson. He writes that the clearest
      > exposition
      > of the idea is to be found in the Psalms of Solomon. The Messiah must
      > overthrow foreign rule, establish an independent Jewish state, be a
      > Davidic
      > king, and usher in universal peace, establishing the kingdom of God.

      And, according to Wilson, Jesus presumably became a Christian Messiah
      because he didn't do any of the above?

      David Cavanagh
      Major (The Salvation Army)
      Rome (Italy)

    • David Mealand
      Message 73 of 73 , Feb 16, 2012
        This topic ran for a while back in January.

        I have just seen a review of a book on Philo
        which gives particular attention to Philo's
        use of some passages from the haftarot which, it is
        argued, match part of a later cycle of such readings.
        Naomi Cohen, Philo's Scriptures ... (Brill 2007) is
        the book, and a very interesting and detailed review
        of it by Tzvee Zahavy is in Review of Rabbinic
        Judaism 15 (2012) 133-136.

        David M.

        ---------
        David Mealand, University of Edinburgh

        Scotland, with registration number SC005336.