RE: [XTalk] The Jesus movement before the NT

  • Dennis Goffin
    Message 1 of 73 , Dec 7, 2011
      Ron, You say "Jesus was recognized as the Jewish Messiah." What in your view were the reasons why, and to what in the Hebrew Bible and/or the intertestamental literature did he correspond in order to enable that recognition ?
      Dennis
      ---------------------

      Dennis Goffin

      Chorleywood UK
    • David Mealand
      Message 73 of 73 , Feb 16, 2012
        This topic ran for a while back in January.

        I have just seen a review of a book on Philo
        which gives particular attention to Philo's
        use of some passages from the haftarot which, it is
        argued, match part of a later cycle of such readings.
        Naomi Cohen, Philo's Scriptures ... (Brill 2007) is
        the book, and a very interesting and detailed review
        of it by Tzvee Zahavy is in Review of Rabbinic
        Judaism 15 (2012) 133-136.

        David M.

        ---------
        David Mealand, University of Edinburgh

        Scotland, with registration number SC005336.