Re: [XTalk] The Jesus movement before the NT

  • Jack Kilmon
    Message 1 of 73 , Dec 2, 2011
      -----Original Message-----
      From: Ronald Price
      Sent: Friday, December 02, 2011 1:22 PM
      To: CrossTalk
      Subject: Re: [XTalk] The Jesus movement before the NT

      JK: -->
      ..... All three Ya'qubs are contemporaries, and relatives, of
      Jesus. I do not include the Ya'qub that was, perhaps, his grandfather. The
      author of Matthew may have had information from family members who were
      active in the 1st century. I accept as evidence that the Matthean genealogy
      may have been correct for the first three generations, at least, his
      patrilear brother and cousin named Ya'qub (that's two) and his cousin Ya'qub
      Zebedee (that's three).

      RP: -->
      So now I'm a step closer to understanding what you're claiming, but I¹m
      still unsure about the evidence that these two men called James were the
      cousins of Jesus.

      - - - - - - - - - -

      Let's start with Ya'qub Bar Zebediy or "James the Greater"

      Mark 16:1 And when the sabbath was past, Mary Magdalene, and Mary the
      [mother] of James, and Salome, had bought sweet spices, that they might come
      and anoint him.

      John 19:25 writes it as
    • David Mealand
      Message 73 of 73 , Feb 16, 2012
        This topic ran for a while back in January.

        I have just seen a review of a book on Philo
        which gives particular attention to Philo's
        use of some passages from the haftarot which, it is
        argued, match part of a later cycle of such readings.
        Naomi Cohen, Philo's Scriptures ... (Brill 2007) is
        the book, and a very interesting and detailed review
        of it by Tzvee Zahavy is in Review of Rabbinic
        Judaism 15 (2012) 133-136.

        David M.

        ---------
        David Mealand, University of Edinburgh

        Scotland, with registration number SC005336.