Re: [XTalk] The Jesus movement before the NT

  • Ronald Price
    Message 1 of 73 , Dec 2, 2011
      JK: -->
      ..... All three Ya'qubs are contemporaries, and relatives, of
      Jesus. I do not include the Ya'qub that was, perhaps, his grandfather. The
      author of Matthew may have had information from family members who were
      active in the 1st century. I accept as evidence that the Matthean genealogy
      may have been correct for the first three generations, at least, his
      patrilear brother and cousin named Ya'qub (that's two) and his cousin Ya'qub
      Zebedee (that's three).

      RP: -->
      So now I'm a step closer to understanding what you're claiming, but I¹m
      still unsure about the evidence that these two men called James were the
      cousins of Jesus.

      - - - - - - - - - -

      JK: -->
      I see no reason to confuse the original literate disciple Matthew
      with the Matthias of Acts.

      RP: -->
      Ignoring the word "literate", which is debatable, it seems to me perfectly
      possible that either Papias or Eusebius, writing in Greek, could have
      mistaken MAQQAIOS for MAQQIAS or vice versa. The only letter not in common
      between these two names is the omicron! Or alternatively the author of Acts
      may have found MAQQAIOS in the tradition behind Ac 1:21-26, and deliberately
      altered it to MAQQIAS to avoid confusion with the MAQQAIOS he had inherited
      from Mark's list of apostles.

      - - - - - - - - - -

      JK: - - >
      The corpse of Jesus was turned over to the family
      after crucifixion when the Roman praxis was to either let it decompose on
      the cross or put it in a common grave.

      RP: -->
      On the latter we agree. But this Roman praxis has to be taken as evidence of
      what actually happened to the body of Jesus. At the very least it must be
      weighed against your suggestion (presumably based on the testimony of Mark's
      gospel) that the corpse of Jesus was handed over to his family. In my view
      the former evidence is very much stronger, especially as the handing over of
      the body was a necessary prerequisite for the empty tomb story which formed
      the climax of the gospel, a story which Bultmann showed to be full of
      inconsistencies.

      - - - - - - - - - -

      Ron Price,

      Derbyshire, UK

      http://homepage.virgin.net/ron.price/

    • David Mealand
      Message 73 of 73 , Feb 16, 2012
        This topic ran for a while back in January.

        I have just seen a review of a book on Philo
        which gives particular attention to Philo's
        use of some passages from the haftarot which, it is
        argued, match part of a later cycle of such readings.
        Naomi Cohen, Philo's Scriptures ... (Brill 2007) is
        the book, and a very interesting and detailed review
        of it by Tzvee Zahavy is in Review of Rabbinic
        Judaism 15 (2012) 133-136.

        David M.

        ---------
        David Mealand, University of Edinburgh

        Scotland, with registration number SC005336.