Re: [XTalk] The Jesus movement before the NT

  • Ronald Price
    Message 1 of 73 , Nov 28, 2011
      Rich Griese wrote:

      > RE your seeing the James dropping out, and then a new James appearing
      > being odd, I know that Robert Eisenman in his _James the Brother of
      > Jesus_ talks at great length about that. If you have not already
      > looked at that work, I would recommend it for this particular issue.
      > He makes, I believe that point, that there was a purposeful writing
      > out of James, and the specific text you are talking about, he believes
      > is a clue to just this idea.

      Rich,

      Thanks for your comment. Yes I have looked at Eisenman's book. I may well
      have been influenced by a few of his ideas.

      By the way, I have just noticed that Eisenman's book on James and Painter's
      book on James were both first published in 1997. They both think that James
      the brother of Jesus was the leading disciple from the beginning. But my
      analysis goes a step further: clearly pointing to the author of Mark's
      gospel as the originator of the confusion.

      Ron Price,

      Derbyshire, UK

      http://homepage.virgin.net/ron.price/
    • David Mealand
      Message 73 of 73 , Feb 16, 2012
        This topic ran for a while back in January.

        I have just seen a review of a book on Philo
        which gives particular attention to Philo's
        use of some passages from the haftarot which, it is
        argued, match part of a later cycle of such readings.
        Naomi Cohen, Philo's Scriptures ... (Brill 2007) is
        the book, and a very interesting and detailed review
        of it by Tzvee Zahavy is in Review of Rabbinic
        Judaism 15 (2012) 133-136.

        David M.

        ---------
        David Mealand, University of Edinburgh

        Scotland, with registration number SC005336.