Re: [XTalk] The Jesus movement before the NT

  • Rich Griese
    Message 1 of 73 , Nov 27, 2011
      Dear Ron,

      RE your seeing the James dropping out, and then a new James appearing
      being odd, I know that Robert Eisenman in his _James the Brother of
      Jesus_ talks at great length about that. If you have not already
      looked at that work, I would recommend it for this particular issue.
      He makes, I believe that point, that there was a purposeful writing
      out of James, and the specific text you are talking about, he believes
      is a clue to just this idea.

      Cheers!

      Rich Griese
      RichGriese@...
      http://RichGriese.NET
      USA, New Jersey, Nutley

      On Nov 27, 2011, at 3:16 PM, Ronald Price wrote:

      > Firstly the introduction of James the brother of Jesus in Acts is
      > very odd.
      > In Acts, even the apparently obscure Matthias is carefully
      > introduced (Ac
      > 1:21-26), yet James the brother of Jesus and leader of the Jesus
      > movement in
      > Paul's time appears suddenly in Ac 12:17 with not a word of
      > introduction in
      > Acts. Another oddity is the demise of "James the brother of John" in
      > Ac 12:2
      > conveniently in time for the other James to appear in the narrative as
      > "James" without qualification.
    • David Mealand
      Message 73 of 73 , Feb 16, 2012
        This topic ran for a while back in January.

        I have just seen a review of a book on Philo
        which gives particular attention to Philo's
        use of some passages from the haftarot which, it is
        argued, match part of a later cycle of such readings.
        Naomi Cohen, Philo's Scriptures ... (Brill 2007) is
        the book, and a very interesting and detailed review
        of it by Tzvee Zahavy is in Review of Rabbinic
        Judaism 15 (2012) 133-136.

        David M.

        ---------
        David Mealand, University of Edinburgh

        Scotland, with registration number SC005336.