Fwd: Review of "Key Events in the Life of the Historical Jesus," Biblical Literature Newsletter, 28 October 2011

    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 29, 2011
      This new book caught my eye as particularly relevant to the purpose
      of this list:

      >Darrell L. Bock and Robert L. Webb, eds.
      >Key Events in the Life of the Historical Jesus: A Collaborative
      >Exploration of Context and Coherence
      >http://www.bookreviews.org/bookdetail.asp?TitleId=7900
      >Reviewed by Richard Horsley

      We have engaged with Horsley before, in at least one online seminar.
      The subject of the book invites comparison to the Jesus Seminar's
      Acts of Jesus. Although Horsley says each essay reviews the
      literature, Horsley himself makes no mention of the Acts of Jesus
      volume by the Jesus Seminar.

      This dialogue is also quite apt because the book is populated mainly
      with evangelical scholars, i.e. those whose presence was least felt
      in the Jesus seminar. This would make a comparison all the more interesting.

      The volume also devotes some space, according to Horsley, to
      methodological issues. It would be interesting to compare theirs
      with the Jesus Seminars, as well.

      Has anyone read the book yet?

      Bob Schacht
      Northern Arizona University

    • David Mealand
      Message 2 of 2 , Oct 31, 2011
        Haven't seen the book as yet, but thought the review did a good job
        in identifying several features which might appeal to someone who
        doesn't feel at home at either "pole".

        David M.

        ---------
        David Mealand, University of Edinburgh

        Scotland, with registration number SC005336.