Re: [XTalk] Re: "Jesus the Nazirite from Capernaum" and Tertullian

  • David Mealand
    Message 1 of 17 , May 1 7:35 AM
      Tim O'Neill wrote--------
      While I appreciate all the responses, it seems no-one has been able to
      shed any light on why Tertullian would call Jesus a "Nazaraeus" rather
      than a "Nazarenus". If the former doesn't mean that he believed Jesus
      was a Nazirite, then why use this word? And if he did believe this,
      why is this the only place that I can see where he refers to this
      (oddly unorthodox) belief?

      I'm still finding this very puzzling because I can't see that
      Tertullian did regard Jesus as a Nazirite, yet I can't find any reason
      why he uses the word "Nazaraeus" to describe him.
      ---------------

      Mark 4 times has Nazarenos, Luke has it twice.
      Matthew, Luke, 4th Gospel & Acts all have Nazwraios (w=long o)
      on which Fiztmyer, Lk., p.1215 has a lengthy note. He
      lists explanations by the place, Nazirite, Netser and
      Notsri and says "it is still a problem to explain
      the long o; nor can the shift from ts to z be accepted
      without further ado". (He prints s with dot under it
      I have to use ts).

      If Tertullian has Nazareus or Nazaraeus he is too early to be following
      the Vulgate but it might be worth trying the Old Latin to
      see what that has. Incidentally I note that the Vulgate
      has Nazareus for Nazwraios only at Matt.2.23 and appears to
      have Nazarenus in most places where the Greek has Nazwraios,
      but I only have the smaller Wordsworth & White to hand.

      David M.

      ---------
      David Mealand, University of Edinburgh

      Scotland, with registration number SC005336.