Re: [XTalk] Jesus, Paul and the law

    Message 1 of 10 , Apr 27 11:35 AM
      Hi Ron,

      Thanks for your reply to me. I'll just respond off of Bob's note, so
      see below:
      On Apr 27, 2011, at 2:24 PM, Ronald Price wrote:

      > On 27/04/2011 17:35, "Bob Schacht" <r_schacht@...> wrote:
      >
      >> Well, I don't know what the practice is in your
      >> Christian church (assuming that you belong to
      >> one), but in the Episcopal church (and Anglican),
      >> the Ten Commandments are included in the Book of
      >> Common Prayer and are occasionally included in
      >> communal worship, especially in penitential seasons.
      >> Furthermore, here in the States we've had a bit
      >> of controversy with some evangelical Christians
      >> who want the Ten Commandments to be publicly
      >> displayed (e.g.,
      >> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roy_Moore). Contrary
      >> to your portrayal, I don't think the Ten
      >> Commandments are a dead letter in the Christian
      >> Church-- either now, or in the First Century of our era. .....
      >>
      >> So that hardly sounds like a rejection of the "whole" of Jewish law.
      >
      > Bob,
      >
      > O.K., what I wrote was an over-simplification. You can tell I have
      > never
      > been a member of the Anglican Church!
      >
      > Nevertheless I think there is an important distinction between Jewish
      > acceptance of the ten commandments because they form part of the
      > Torah, and
      > any Christian acceptance of them. The latter cannot be simply
      > because they
      > are in the bible, for in that case Christians would not eat pork and
      > circumcision would be obligatory on religious grounds. So presumably
      > their
      > attraction for some parts of the Church must be because they are
      > perceived
      > to reflect Christian values as reflected in the New Testament.
      >
      > Ron Price,

      This takes us away from Bible and into the world of Christian theology
      and ethics, but your summation even here is still an
      oversimplification. The relationship between "grace and law" is an
      issue all across the Christian theological heritage and it is quite
      complex. That said, take a look sometimes at the Westminster Larger
      Catechism and the section on the place and understanding of the
      Decalogue.

      Gordon Raynal
      Inman, SC