Re: [XTalk] Mission fields favorable to women apostles

  • David Mealand
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 1, 2011
      Back in the 4th C BCE a pair of Cynics
      went around propagating the Cynic philosophical
      message of a life of simplicity and independence,
      and the attainment of contentment by limiting
      one's needs. They were Crates and Hipparchia.
      They were partners who chose freely to travel
      together.

      Not quite what you are looking for, but
      evidence that some Greeks did defy convention.

      There may be other examples closer to what you
      are looking for, but I don't have anything to
      hand just now.

      David M.

      ---------
      David Mealand, University of Edinburgh

      Scotland, with registration number SC005336.
    • Jack Kilmon
      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 1, 2011
        I was thinking about the same questions last week and my Amazon.com
        stagewagon just rode in with Sara B. Pomeroy (the leading expert)
        "Goddesses, Whores, Wives, and Slaves: Women in Classical Antiquity (1975)
        Shocken. NY and the same author "Women's History & Ancient History" 1991 UNC
        Press and also HBarbara Watterson (another leading authority) "Women in
        Ancient Egypt" 1991. If I were a woman in the 1st century (from my cursory
        page flipping so far), I would go to Egypt. Only in Alexandria could you
        have an Hypatia and only Christians would have mobbed her and slaughtered
        her.

        Jack Kilmon