Mission fields favorable to women apostles

  • Richard Fellows
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 31, 2011
      If you were a first century female apostle, which region would you
      choose as your mission field? Were some regions more open to women
      preachers than others, or were all regions equally sexist? We know
      that Paul and other men evangelized Asia Minor and the Aegean, but I
      think we should assess the possibility that women chose to go elsewhere.

      C.C. Kroeger writes that "A Roman woman enjoyed far greater freedom
      than her Greek sisters" (Dictionary of New Testament Background
      p1277)." Is this true, and would it explain why so many women were
      prominent in the churches of Rome (Rom 16:1-15) and Philippi (Phil
      4:2; Acts 16:14-15, 40) (a Roman colony)? Also, it is said that
      Egyptians were relatively egalitarian, though I have heard conflicting
      views on this, and would like to hear what people think.

      What studies should I read to find answers to these questions? Any
      suggestions?

      Richard Fellows
      Vancouver.
    • David Mealand
      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 1, 2011
        Back in the 4th C BCE a pair of Cynics
        went around propagating the Cynic philosophical
        message of a life of simplicity and independence,
        and the attainment of contentment by limiting
        one's needs. They were Crates and Hipparchia.
        They were partners who chose freely to travel
        together.

        Not quite what you are looking for, but
        evidence that some Greeks did defy convention.

        There may be other examples closer to what you
        are looking for, but I don't have anything to
        hand just now.

        David M.

        ---------
        David Mealand, University of Edinburgh

        Scotland, with registration number SC005336.
      • Jack Kilmon
        Message 3 of 4 , Apr 1, 2011
          I was thinking about the same questions last week and my Amazon.com
          stagewagon just rode in with Sara B. Pomeroy (the leading expert)
          "Goddesses, Whores, Wives, and Slaves: Women in Classical Antiquity (1975)
          Shocken. NY and the same author "Women's History & Ancient History" 1991 UNC
          Press and also HBarbara Watterson (another leading authority) "Women in
          Ancient Egypt" 1991. If I were a woman in the 1st century (from my cursory
          page flipping so far), I would go to Egypt. Only in Alexandria could you
          have an Hypatia and only Christians would have mobbed her and slaughtered
          her.

          Jack Kilmon

[...]

          List managers may be contacted directly at:
          crosstalk2-owners@yahoogroups.com