Re: [biblical-studies] FW: [GPG] RECOLLECTION OR RETROJECTION ?

  • jgibson000@comcast.net
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 21, 2011
      On 3/21/2011 7:48 AM, Dennis Goffin wrote:

      > A prime example of this is the evolution of the idiomatic
      > Aramaic expression 'barnasha' into the Christological title Son of God.

      Umm ... can I see the evidence you have that supports your claim that
      "barnasha" "evolved" into "son of God"?

      Jeffrey B. Gibson, D.Phil. (Oxon)
      1500 W. Pratt Blvd.
      Chicago, Illinois
      e-mail jgibson000@...
    • Richard Fellows
      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 31, 2011
        If you were a first century female apostle, which region would you
        choose as your mission field? Were some regions more open to women
        preachers than others, or were all regions equally sexist? We know
        that Paul and other men evangelized Asia Minor and the Aegean, but I
        think we should assess the possibility that women chose to go elsewhere.

        C.C. Kroeger writes that "A Roman woman enjoyed far greater freedom
        than her Greek sisters" (Dictionary of New Testament Background
        p1277)." Is this true, and would it explain why so many women were
        prominent in the churches of Rome (Rom 16:1-15) and Philippi (Phil
        4:2; Acts 16:14-15, 40) (a Roman colony)? Also, it is said that
        Egyptians were relatively egalitarian, though I have heard conflicting
        views on this, and would like to hear what people think.

        What studies should I read to find answers to these questions? Any
        suggestions?

        Richard Fellows
        Vancouver.
      • David Mealand
        Message 3 of 4 , Apr 1, 2011
          Back in the 4th C BCE a pair of Cynics
          went around propagating the Cynic philosophical
          message of a life of simplicity and independence,
          and the attainment of contentment by limiting
          one's needs. They were Crates and Hipparchia.
          They were partners who chose freely to travel
          together.

          Not quite what you are looking for, but
          evidence that some Greeks did defy convention.

          There may be other examples closer to what you
          are looking for, but I don't have anything to
          hand just now.

          David M.

          ---------
          David Mealand, University of Edinburgh

          Scotland, with registration number SC005336.
        • Jack Kilmon
          Message 4 of 4 , Apr 1, 2011
            I was thinking about the same questions last week and my Amazon.com
            stagewagon just rode in with Sara B. Pomeroy (the leading expert)
            "Goddesses, Whores, Wives, and Slaves: Women in Classical Antiquity (1975)
            Shocken. NY and the same author "Women's History & Ancient History" 1991 UNC
            Press and also HBarbara Watterson (another leading authority) "Women in
            Ancient Egypt" 1991. If I were a woman in the 1st century (from my cursory
            page flipping so far), I would go to Egypt. Only in Alexandria could you
            have an Hypatia and only Christians would have mobbed her and slaughtered
            her.

            Jack Kilmon

[...]

            List managers may be contacted directly at:
            crosstalk2-owners@yahoogroups.com