Re: [XTalk] John Mark

  • E Bruce Brooks
    Message 1 of 8 , Jan 31, 2011
      Joseph,

      Things not now accessible in the Biblica section are for the most part
      intentionally not accessible; those pages are either being recast/updated,
      or temporarily withheld for other reasons. But I have your list, and will do
      what I can to put it at the top of *my* list.

      The paradox for me, needless to say, is that the web site amounts to writing
      a book in advance of the actual planned book (or two). There is something
      inefficient about that, somehow. But that's my problem and I will do what I
      can with it.

      Thanks for your interest,

      Bruce

      E Bruce Brooks
      Warring States Project
      University of Massachusetts at Amherst

      Message 2 of 8 , Feb 1, 2011
        Speaking of stratification, we are all aware of the Aramaic interference in
        Markan Greek and the consensus is that the author was an Aramaic speaker
        writing in Greek, see Maurice Casey "Aramaic Sources of Mark's Gospel." I
        have always dealt with the Markan sayings of Jesus as good examples of
        translational Greek from an Aramaic source document (Mark's notebook) but
        now I am wondering if blocks of the narrative may not also be translational
        Greek suggesting an Aramaic draft/Ur-Markus.

        Jack

        Jack Kilmon
        San Antonio, TX