Re: coins, politics, religion & Mark

  • RSBrenchley@aol.com
    Message 1 of 48 , Jan 30, 2011
      <<Ariel, D.T., A Survey of Coin Finds in Jerusalem,
      Liber Annuus 32, 1982, pp 273-326.

      Unless we have an old print copy in the pre-1985 stack here,
      the data for denarii in Jerusalem is out of reach
      just now, so, at least for the time being, I'll just shift to your
      view that there weren't that many around in the city.

      David M.>>

      I'm having trouble getting hold of it as well, so I'll have to go by
      memory, unfortunately. I did contact Ariel himself, but he's got nothing beyond
      a single paper copy. While it's not strictly on topic, I do have H Gitler's
      'A COMPARATIVE STUDY OF NUMISMATIC EVIDENCE FROM EXCAVATIONS IN JERUSALEM'
      (Liber Annuus 1996), which covers bronze coinage from the city. No
      imperial bronze is recorded from before the 4th Century, after the abolition of
      the provincial mints, and their replacement with imperial ones.

      Regards,

      Robert Brenchley
      Birmingham UK

    • RSBrenchley@aol.com