[XTalk] Re: The Wheat and the Tares

  • Michael Grondin
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 30, 1999
      Nathan McGovern writes:
      >I stated earlier that harvest imagery need not imply a literal, physical
      >eschaton, but simply a divine judgment. I checked out the Old Testament
      >parallels, and they confirm this.

      I'm not clear what you're saying here, Nathan. Is it that there are other
      judgments than "the final judgment"? And that these other judgments don't
      result in a transformation of the world, whereas "the final judgment" does?
      Well, OK, but these lesser judgments must have some effect on the world,
      else what do they amount to? Just God sitting up in the sky putting the
      wheat in one column of his book and the chaff in the other, while on earth
      nobody's aware of what he's doing, cuz nothing changes at all? I suppose
      that's possible, but is that what you mean?

      To Jan (whose note just came in):
      >After a period when God left the universe and its inhabitants to their own
      >devices, offering them laws by which to govern themselves ...

      Where in Jewish writings do you find this notion that God left the earth's
      inhabitants to their own devices for any period of time at all? You can't
      use "The Statesman" to analyze the thinking of folks who didn't think that
      way.

      Regards,
      Mike