Re: [XTalk] GOSPEL (OF THE KINGDOM) OF GOD

  • Ronald Price
    Message 1 of 48 , Jan 19, 2011
      Bruce Brooks wrote:

      > ... I was challenged to cite a
      > uniquely Markan saying that I think deserves acceptance as going back to
      > authentic tradition. The simple answer is: All of them. ...

      Then our ideas of source criticism are a world apart. Most of the quoted
      ³sayings² are mere clauses or even phrases which could never have stood
      alone either in tradition or in written form. Isolated quotations from the
      Torah could only have been seen as sayings of Jesus if set in an appropriate
      context, which you don¹t do.

      Mk 9:45 is probably Mark¹s extension of the hand/eye saying.

      Mk 1:15 is an elaboration of ³The kingdom of God is drawing near², which was
      part of the early mission statement.

      Mk 4:26-29 is perhaps the best candidate for an early uniquely-Markan
      saying, but then JSem has it in pink!

      Ron Price,

      Derbyshire, UK

      http://homepage.virgin.net/ron.price/

    • RSBrenchley@aol.com
      Message 48 of 48 , Jan 30, 2011
        <<Ariel, D.T., A Survey of Coin Finds in Jerusalem,
        Liber Annuus 32, 1982, pp 273-326.

        Unless we have an old print copy in the pre-1985 stack here,
        the data for denarii in Jerusalem is out of reach
        just now, so, at least for the time being, I'll just shift to your
        view that there weren't that many around in the city.

        David M.>>

        I'm having trouble getting hold of it as well, so I'll have to go by
        memory, unfortunately. I did contact Ariel himself, but he's got nothing beyond
        a single paper copy. While it's not strictly on topic, I do have H Gitler's
        'A COMPARATIVE STUDY OF NUMISMATIC EVIDENCE FROM EXCAVATIONS IN JERUSALEM'
        (Liber Annuus 1996), which covers bronze coinage from the city. No
        imperial bronze is recorded from before the 4th Century, after the abolition of
        the provincial mints, and their replacement with imperial ones.

        Regards,

        Robert Brenchley
        Birmingham UK