Re: [XTalk] GOSPEL (OF THE KINGDOM) OF GOD

  • E Bruce Brooks
    Message 1 of 48 , Jan 18, 2011
      To: Crosstalk
      On: JSem and Mark
      From: Bruce

      I had said, a propos the Jesus Seminar,

      BRUCE: Not a single saying in Mark is either red or pink in the eyes of
      JSem. All the good stuff is in Mt/Lk, that is to say, they credit the Nice
      Jesus of the Second Tier Gospels. And ignore all the rest.

      RON: But here you are plain wrong. Mark has one saying in red and more than
      dozen in pink.

      BRUCE: Not all that wrong. Let me state it this way: Nothing which is red or
      pink for the JSem depends solely on Mk. Everything which is red or pink for
      the JSem has collateral support from what they call Q, from what they
      register as Mt/Lk (same difference), and/or Thomas, or in the one truly
      heroic instance, namely the Seed Parable of Mk 4, from Thomas alone in
      addition to Mark.

      No. Uniquely. Markan. Saying. Impresses. The. JSem. As. Genuine.

      Will that serve?

      If we did not have Mark, and had only Mt/Lk/Thos, the JSem red/pink list
      would not be changed in the slightest.

      The other thing I plan to buy stock in is the Hallmark Greeting Card
      Company. Never mind waiting until the office opens, I will leave a note for
      my broker now.

      Bruce

      E Bruce Brooks
      Warring States Project
      University of Massachusetts at Amherst
    • RSBrenchley@aol.com
      Message 48 of 48 , Jan 30, 2011
        <<Ariel, D.T., A Survey of Coin Finds in Jerusalem,
        Liber Annuus 32, 1982, pp 273-326.

        Unless we have an old print copy in the pre-1985 stack here,
        the data for denarii in Jerusalem is out of reach
        just now, so, at least for the time being, I'll just shift to your
        view that there weren't that many around in the city.

        David M.>>

        I'm having trouble getting hold of it as well, so I'll have to go by
        memory, unfortunately. I did contact Ariel himself, but he's got nothing beyond
        a single paper copy. While it's not strictly on topic, I do have H Gitler's
        'A COMPARATIVE STUDY OF NUMISMATIC EVIDENCE FROM EXCAVATIONS IN JERUSALEM'
        (Liber Annuus 1996), which covers bronze coinage from the city. No
        imperial bronze is recorded from before the 4th Century, after the abolition of
        the provincial mints, and their replacement with imperial ones.

        Regards,

        Robert Brenchley
        Birmingham UK