Re: [XTalk] Re: On contrasting betas with alphas

  • Jeff Peterson
    Message 1 of 6 , Dec 16, 2010
      The end of semester affords no time to engage the interesting debate
      excerpted below properly, but I think Bruce finds more tension between Paul
      and James than the texts warrant. The treatments of James 2:14 ff. in Luke
      Johnson's commentary and Richard Bauckham's book are especially helpful
      here, though I think they push too hard against the consensus in denying any
      substantive connection at all between James and Paul on this question; the
      best interpretation of James is as pushing back against the libertine
      interpretation of Paul's gospel represented in Rom 3:8 � but Paul agrees
      with James in opposing that!

      On the larger question of alpha vs. beta Christianity, James and Paul on
      faith and works falls far short of the evidence needed to establish the
      thesis; even if one goes all the way with Luther on the depth of the J/P
      cleft, that still represents a difference over the details of soteriology
      within a common faith. The glorified Lord Jesus Christ (Jas. 2:1) whose
      advent is awaited (Jas. 5:7) is the same agent of salvation we know from the
      Pauline letters.

      Jeff Peterson
      Austin Graduate School of Theology
      Austin, Texas