[XTalk] Re: Jesus the Nazorean

  • dhindley@compuserve.com
    Message 1 of 24 , Sep 29, 1999
      "andrew smith" <asmit-@...> wrote:

      > I should have checked this before I posted my last email. Anyway, hair
      > shearing was definitely an element in the Nazirite vow. Here's the
      relevant
      > section from Numbers:-
      >
      > [Numbers, chapter 6:1-12 is cited]
      >
      > It's hard to believe that all that many Nazirites had to have their
      hair
      > sheared because of accidental corpse-contact...

      Do not forget the *rest* of the section, specifically vs 18:

      RSV Numbers 6:13 "And this is the law for the Nazirite, when the
      time of his separation has been completed: he shall be brought to the
      door of the tent of meeting, 14 and he shall offer his gift to the
      LORD,
      one male lamb a year old without blemish for a burnt offering, and one
      ewe lamb a year old without blemish as a sin offering, and one ram
      without blemish as a peace offering, 15 and a basket of unleavened
      bread, cakes of fine flour mixed with oil, and unleavened wafers
      spread with oil, and their cereal offering and their drink offerings.
      16
      And the priest shall present them before the LORD and offer his sin
      offering and his burnt offering, 17 and he shall offer the ram as a
      sacrifice of peace offering to the LORD, with the basket of unleavened
      bread; the priest shall offer also its cereal offering and its drink
      offering. 18 And the Nazirite shall shave his consecrated head at the
      door of the tent of meeting, and shall take the hair from his
      consecrated head and put it on the fire which is under the sacrifice of
      the peace offering. 19 And the priest shall take the shoulder of the
      ram, when it is boiled, and one unleavened cake out of the basket,
      and one unleavened wafer, and shall put them upon the hands of the
      Nazirite, after he has shaven the hair of his consecration, 20 and the
      priest shall wave them for a wave offering before the LORD; they are a
      holy portion for the priest, together with the breast that is waved and
      the thigh that is offered; and after that the Nazirite may drink wine.
      21
      "This is the law for the Nazirite who takes a vow. His offering to the
      LORD shall be according to his vow as a Nazirite, apart from what
      else he can afford; in accordance with the vow which he takes, so
      shall he do according to the law for his separation as a Nazirite."

      The head shaving is normally associated with the fulfillment of the vow.

      As an aside, I was musing about Samson today. Here is a lifelong
      Nazirite who was famous for killing Phillistines! I would have to
      imagine that after each battle he had to purify himself, shave his head
      and make the required sacrifices in order to rededicate the vow.

      That makes me start to wonder again about those 40 men who vowed to
      kill Paul. The "eating or drinking" might then refer to eating grape
      products or drinking wine. Even so, I think that these had made a
      different type of vow, which they could not fulfill. If made with full
      understanding of the implications, then they must surely have died, as
      I doubt that any valid reason could be made to allow cancellation of
      their vows.

      Regards,

      Dave Hindley
      Cleveland, Ohio, USA