Re: [XTalk] Any responses to Article on Mark by Focant?

  • Jack Kilmon
    Message 1 of 12 , Nov 13, 2010
      From: "David Cavanagh" <davidcavanagh@...>
      Sent: Saturday, November 13, 2010 3:15 PM
      To: <crosstalk2@yahoogroups.com>
      Subject: Re: [XTalk] Any responses to Article on Mark by Focant?

      > On 13/11/2010 21:53, Jack Kilmon wrote:
      >>

      >> The 1901 German pub was published in English (The Messianic Secret) in
      >> 1971
      >> and is still available. Of course, I read it because my position is
      >> that it
      >> was also a "secret" to Jesus who did not consider himself the Messiah. I
      >> think that because his followers continued to insist, out of their
      >> expectation fervor, it got him killed.
      >>
      > Hmm....I think Paula Fredriksen's thesis (that it was the enthusiasm of
      > the crowds that sealed Jesus' fate) is more likely....
      >
      > David Cavanagh
      > Major (The Salvation Army)
      > Florence (Italy)

      I think we are saying the same thing, Dave, albeit I am very skeptical of
      the "crowds" reactions in the passion narratives. I think the entire
      Barabbas story is a fiction designed to set up the Jewish crowds for "Then
      answered all the people, and said, His blood [be] on us, and on our
      children."

      My only question is whether the Matthean author, an apostate Hellenistic Jew
      who "came over" to Gentile Christianity, probably in Antioch, did this or
      some later redactor.

      Jack

      Jack Kilmon
      San Antonio, TX