Re: [XTalk] Any responses to Article on Mark by Focant?

  • jgibson000@comcast.net
    Message 1 of 12 , Nov 13, 2010
      On 11/13/2010 1:33 PM, Joseph Codsi wrote:
      > Jeffrey,
      > You are right. I was too hasty in my reading of Focant. He was discussing Wrede's view.
      > Joseph Codsi
      > Seattle

      What bothers me most here is not only that you thought the idea was
      new, but that it was insightful. It means that you are not all that
      familiar with the answers that have been given by scholars to Swede's
      claim that show that it is entirely wanting.

      May I suggest that you have a look at, e.g, Lewis S. Hay, "Mark's Use
      of the Messianic Secret", /Journal of the American Academy of
      Religion/, Vol. 35, No. 1 (Mar., 1967) 16-27 and especially WC
      Robinson, "The Quest for Swede's Secret Messiah," /Interpretation / 27
      (1973)10-30 among the many articles and monographs on the topic that you
      curiously seem not to be aware of.

      Jeffrey B. Gibson, D.Phil. (Oxon)
      1500 W. Pratt Blvd.
      Chicago, Illinois
      e-mail jgibson000@...
    • Jack Kilmon
      Message 2 of 12 , Nov 13, 2010
        Message 3 of 12 , Nov 13, 2010
          On 13/11/2010 21:53, Jack Kilmon wrote:

          > The 1901 German pub was published in English (The Messianic Secret) in
          > 1971
          > and is still available. Of course, I read it because my position is
          > that it
          > was also a "secret" to Jesus who did not consider himself the Messiah. I
          > think that because his followers continued to insist, out of their
          > expectation fervor, it got him killed.

          Hmm....I think Paula Fredriksen's thesis (that it was the enthusiasm of
          the crowds that sealed Jesus' fate) is more likely....

          David Cavanagh
          Major (The Salvation Army)
          Florence (Italy)

        • Jack Kilmon
          Message 4 of 12 , Nov 13, 2010
            >> The 1901 German pub was published in English (The Messianic Secret) in
            >> 1971
            >> and is still available. Of course, I read it because my position is
            >> that it
            >> was also a "secret" to Jesus who did not consider himself the Messiah. I
            >> think that because his followers continued to insist, out of their
            >> expectation fervor, it got him killed.
            >>
            > Hmm....I think Paula Fredriksen's thesis (that it was the enthusiasm of
            > the crowds that sealed Jesus' fate) is more likely....
            >
            > David Cavanagh
            > Major (The Salvation Army)
            > Florence (Italy)

            I think we are saying the same thing, Dave, albeit I am very skeptical of
            the "crowds" reactions in the passion narratives. I think the entire
            Barabbas story is a fiction designed to set up the Jewish crowds for "Then
            answered all the people, and said, His blood [be] on us, and on our
            children."

            My only question is whether the Matthean author, an apostate Hellenistic Jew
            who "came over" to Gentile Christianity, probably in Antioch, did this or
            some later redactor.

            Jack

            Jack Kilmon
            San Antonio, TX