RE: [XTalk] Any responses to Article on Mark by Focant?

  • Joseph Codsi
    Message 1 of 12 , Nov 13, 2010
      An interesting statement by Focant. He says in substance that Mark wanted to hide the fact that during his life Jesus was not perceived as the Messiah. (18)
      In order to hide this embarrassing fact, Mark used 'literary devices'(artifice littéraire)with which he reveals in his narrative what was not perceived then.
      I find this interpretation very interesting. It can be used to identify the events that were created by Mark and are not historical. This will cover all the epiphanies and mini revelations that can be found all over his Gospel.

      Joseph Codsi
      Seattle
      ________________________________

      Camille Focant, "Une christologie de type 'mystique' (Marc 1.1-16.8)." _New Testament Studies_ January 2009. 1-21.
    • jgibson000@comcast.net
      Message 2 of 12 , Nov 13, 2010
        On 11/13/2010 12:20 PM, Joseph Codsi wrote:
        > An interesting statement by Focant. He says in substance that Mark wanted to hide the fact that during his life Jesus was not perceived as the Messiah. (18)
        > In order to hide this embarrassing fact, Mark used 'literary devices'(artifice littéraire)with which he reveals in his narrative what was not perceived then.
        > I find this interpretation very interesting. It can be used to identify the events that were created by Mark and are not historical. This will cover all the epiphanies and mini revelations that can be found all over his Gospel.
        >
        > Joseph Codsi
        > Seattle
        > ______________________
        Does he think he is original in this claim? Has he -- or you, for that
        matter -- not read (the 100 year old work of) Wrede?

        Jeffrey B. Gibson, D.Phil. (Oxon)
        1500 W. Pratt Blvd.
        Chicago, Illinois
        e-mail jgibson000@...
      • Rikk Watts
        Message 3 of 12 , Nov 13, 2010
          Hmm.. sounds like a re-run of Wrede to me..

          Rikk

          > From: Joseph Codsi <jcodsi@...>
          > Date: Sat, 13 Nov 2010 10:20:15 -0800
          > To: xtalk <crosstalk2@yahoogroups.com>
          > Subject: RE: [XTalk] Any responses to Article on Mark by Focant?
          >
          > An interesting statement by Focant. He says in substance that Mark wanted to
          > hide the fact that during his life Jesus was not perceived as the Messiah.
          > (18)
          > In order to hide this embarrassing fact, Mark used 'literary devices'(artifice
          > littéraire)with which he reveals in his narrative what was not perceived then.
          > I find this interpretation very interesting. It can be used to identify the
          > events that were created by Mark and are not historical. This will cover all
          > the epiphanies and mini revelations that can be found all over his Gospel.
          >
          > Joseph Codsi
          > Seattle
          > ________________________________
          >

          > Camille Focant, "Une christologie de type 'mystique' (Marc 1.1-16.8)." _New
          > Testament Studies_ January 2009. 1-21.

          > List managers may be contacted directly at: crosstalk2-owners@yahoogroups.com
          >
          > Yahoo! Groups Links

        • Joseph Codsi
          Message 4 of 12 , Nov 13, 2010
            Jeffrey,
            You are right. I was too hasty in my reading of Focant. He was discussing Wrede's view.
            Joseph Codsi
            Seattle

            ________________________________

            e-mail jgibson000@... <mailto:jgibson000%40comcast.net>
          • jgibson000@comcast.net
            Message 5 of 12 , Nov 13, 2010
              On 11/13/2010 1:33 PM, Joseph Codsi wrote:
              > Jeffrey,
              > You are right. I was too hasty in my reading of Focant. He was discussing Wrede's view.
              > Joseph Codsi
              > Seattle

              What bothers me most here is not only that you thought the idea was
              new, but that it was insightful. It means that you are not all that
              familiar with the answers that have been given by scholars to Swede's
              claim that show that it is entirely wanting.

              May I suggest that you have a look at, e.g, Lewis S. Hay, "Mark's Use
              of the Messianic Secret", /Journal of the American Academy of
              Religion/, Vol. 35, No. 1 (Mar., 1967) 16-27 and especially WC
              Robinson, "The Quest for Swede's Secret Messiah," /Interpretation / 27
              (1973)10-30 among the many articles and monographs on the topic that you
              curiously seem not to be aware of.

              Jeffrey B. Gibson, D.Phil. (Oxon)
              1500 W. Pratt Blvd.
              Chicago, Illinois
              e-mail jgibson000@...
            • Jack Kilmon
              Message 6 of 12 , Nov 13, 2010
                > On 11/13/2010 12:20 PM, Joseph Codsi wrote:
                >> An interesting statement by Focant. He says in substance that Mark wanted
                >> to hide the fact that during his life Jesus was not perceived as the
                >> Messiah. (18)
                >> In order to hide this embarrassing fact, Mark used 'literary
                >> devices'(artifice littéraire)with which he reveals in his narrative what
                >> was not perceived then.
                >> I find this interpretation very interesting. It can be used to identify
                >> the events that were created by Mark and are not historical. This will
                >> cover all the epiphanies and mini revelations that can be found all over
                >> his Gospel.
                >>
                >> Joseph Codsi
                >> Seattle
                >> ______________________
                > Does he think he is original in this claim? Has he -- or you, for that
                > matter -- not read (the 100 year old work of) Wrede?
                >
                > Jeffrey

                The 1901 German pub was published in English (The Messianic Secret) in 1971
                and is still available. Of course, I read it because my position is that it
                was also a "secret" to Jesus who did not consider himself the Messiah. I
                think that because his followers continued to insist, out of their
                expectation fervor, it got him killed.

                Jack

                Jack Kilmon
                San Antonio, TX
              • David Cavanagh
                Message 7 of 12 , Nov 13, 2010
                  On 13/11/2010 21:53, Jack Kilmon wrote:

                  > The 1901 German pub was published in English (The Messianic Secret) in
                  > 1971
                  > and is still available. Of course, I read it because my position is
                  > that it
                  > was also a "secret" to Jesus who did not consider himself the Messiah. I
                  > think that because his followers continued to insist, out of their
                  > expectation fervor, it got him killed.

                  Hmm....I think Paula Fredriksen's thesis (that it was the enthusiasm of
                  the crowds that sealed Jesus' fate) is more likely....

                  David Cavanagh
                  Major (The Salvation Army)
                  Florence (Italy)

                • Jack Kilmon
                  Message 8 of 12 , Nov 13, 2010
                    >> The 1901 German pub was published in English (The Messianic Secret) in
                    >> 1971
                    >> and is still available. Of course, I read it because my position is
                    >> that it
                    >> was also a "secret" to Jesus who did not consider himself the Messiah. I
                    >> think that because his followers continued to insist, out of their
                    >> expectation fervor, it got him killed.
                    >>
                    > Hmm....I think Paula Fredriksen's thesis (that it was the enthusiasm of
                    > the crowds that sealed Jesus' fate) is more likely....
                    >
                    > David Cavanagh
                    > Major (The Salvation Army)
                    > Florence (Italy)

                    I think we are saying the same thing, Dave, albeit I am very skeptical of
                    the "crowds" reactions in the passion narratives. I think the entire
                    Barabbas story is a fiction designed to set up the Jewish crowds for "Then
                    answered all the people, and said, His blood [be] on us, and on our
                    children."

                    My only question is whether the Matthean author, an apostate Hellenistic Jew
                    who "came over" to Gentile Christianity, probably in Antioch, did this or
                    some later redactor.

                    Jack

                    Jack Kilmon
                    San Antonio, TX