Re: [XTalk] Re: Numbers and Markan Style

  • E Bruce Brooks
    Message 1 of 28 , Oct 19, 2010
      To: Crosstalk
      On: Paul and Authenticity
      From: Bruce

      My previous comments on relevant methodology as I see it, and what it can
      reasonably hope to accomplish in the Pauline Epistles area, are included in
      Ken's current post, and they still sum up that side of things as well as I
      can do it. I can best refer back to them. The gist is: none of the critical
      methods applied to NT or other ancient documents works perfectly, but
      everything works a little bit, and the cumulative result of a lot of
      investigations, all of which work a little bit, can be useful in
      scholarship. Sometimes a problem will remain unsolvable with present
      methods, and those we try to recognize, and to work around then as best we
      can, while waiting for better methods to come along, or for those problems
      to be solved in a more indirect way.

      Ken sums up his objections, or seems to, in this line from his current post:

      KEN: . . . it is not valid to say what Paul or Peter or anyone else could
      have done.

      BRUCE: If that were really true, then the whole subject of Paul would be
      beyond the reach of current scholarship, along with every other NT author,
      whether known, claimed, or unmentioned. Maybe that really is the case. It's
      quite possible that the entire past is beyond our reach, never mind (in some
      modern views) the entire present, including the inside of one's own head.
      Those who find those ideas congenial are welcome to congene with them.

      Myself, I think that the possibilities in general may be more than this, and
      that the NT texts in particular, though complicated in many ways (not all of
      which have necessarily been discovered), are suitable material for
      investigation.

      Bruce

      E Bruce Brooks
      Warring States Project