RE: [XTalk] Passover and Temple rituals

  • Matson, Mark (Academic)
    Message 1 of 13 , Aug 6, 2010
      Walt Lechman wrote:

      >I don't mean to but into this conversation, since I'm normally just a
      >lurker, but this seems like a good place to ask for scholarly sources
      >concerning the reconcilliation of John's gospel with the synoptics
      >concerning the celebration of the Passover. I'm trying to find good info
      >discussing the claim that Jesus and his disciples celebrated a separate
      >passover from the Jews in John 18 who were trying to avoid becoming ritually
      >unclean during Jesus' trial.

      >I've recently seen claims that Jesus and his disciples in John 13 were
      >celebrating passover, and then there were other Jews (including those
      >mentioned in John 18) who celebrated passover a day later due to a different
      >adherence to a different calendar and/or passover tradition.

      Walt -- Your last paragraph I think is dealing with Annie Jaubert's thesis (which was published in a variety of forms a number of times and places).

      For the overall issue of dating, (and at risk of being a bit self-promoting), you might check out my argument abou the various dating in the article “The Historical Plausibility of John’s Passion Chronology: A Reconsideration.” in John, Jesus and History, Volume 2 (2009, SBL Press).

      Mark Matson
      Milligan College