Re: [XTalk] New Topic Experiment

  • Stephen Carlson
    Message 1 of 11 , Jul 22, 2010
      On Wed, Jul 21, 2010 at 10:42 PM, <sfunsten@...> wrote:
      > I have been a member for several of years. I am a doctoral candidate in
      >New Testament Studies at Claremont Graduate Univ. I am interested in
      >finding out if anyone has come across any information that explores the
      >influence and or/relevance of ancient the economies of Asia Minor and
      >Syria/Palestine in the first to third centuries and the development of
      >Christianity in this area. I have read much material on ancient economies
      >in the Mediterranean region, and even more material on Christian origins,
      >but seldom do the two meet.

      For a study that looks at the economy of first-century Galilee and its influence
      on Christian origins (esp. Q) from a materialist perspective, you might want
      to look at:

      William E. Arnal, Jesus and the Village Scribes: Galilean Conflicts and the
      Setting of Q. Minneapolis: Fortress Press, 2001.

      Stephen Carlson
      Message 2 of 11 , Jul 22, 2010
        And not to be totally self serving, but you also might check out the
        two articles I did last year (vol. 22 May-June 2009 and vol. 23 July-
        August 2009) in "The Fourth R" on the very nature of Jesus' speech and
        what such speech actually seeks to communicate/ engage.

        Gordon Raynal
        Inman, SC
        On Jul 22, 2010, at 9:50 AM, Stephen Carlson wrote:

        > On Wed, Jul 21, 2010 at 10:42 PM, <sfunsten@...> wrote:
        >> I have been a member for several of years. I am a doctoral
        >> candidate in
        >> New Testament Studies at Claremont Graduate Univ. I am interested in
        >> finding out if anyone has come across any information that explores
        >> the
        >> influence and or/relevance of ancient the economies of Asia Minor and
        >> Syria/Palestine in the first to third centuries and the development
        >> of
        >> Christianity in this area. I have read much material on ancient
        >> economies
        >> in the Mediterranean region, and even more material on Christian
        >> origins,
        >> but seldom do the two meet.
        >
        > For a study that looks at the economy of first-century Galilee and
        > its influence
        > on Christian origins (esp. Q) from a materialist perspective, you
        > might want
        > to look at:
        >
        > William E. Arnal, Jesus and the Village Scribes: Galilean Conflicts
        > and the
        > Setting of Q. Minneapolis: Fortress Press, 2001.
        >
        > Stephen Carlson

        > List managers may be contacted directly at: crosstalk2-owners@yahoogroups.com
        >
        > Yahoo! Groups Links

      • Tony Buglass
        Message 3 of 11 , Jul 22, 2010
          Bruce wrote: "..it is run, in significant
          and increasing part, by a larger and external agency."

          Sounds suspiciously like a quote from The HitchHikers Guide to the Galaxy...

          As far as creating new topics is concerend, I usually just reply to any group email and change the subject line accordingly.

          Cheers,
          Rev Tony Buglass
          Superintendent Minister
          Upper Calder Methodist Circuit

        • chriszeichman
          Message 4 of 11 , Jul 22, 2010
            James Crossley's Why Christianity Happened also addresses the role of economics in formative Christianity. Arnal's book that Stephen notes has a great bibliography on the topic.

            Chris Zeichmann
          • jgibson000@comcast.net
            Message 5 of 11 , Jul 22, 2010
              On 7/22/2010 11:27 AM, chriszeichman wrote:
              > James Crossley's Why Christianity Happened also addresses the role of economics in formative Christianity. Arnal's book that Stephen notes has a great bibliography on the topic.
              >
              > Chris Zeichmann

              So too does Douglas E Oakman's /Jesus and the Peasants (Matrix: the
              Bible in Mediterranean Context/) which can be previewed here
              <cid:part1.03060700.01070701@...>.

              You'll also want to have a look at the works on Galilee by Richard
              Horsley and Sean Freyne.

              Jeffrey B. Gibson, D.Phil. (Oxon)
              1500 W. Pratt Blvd.
              Chicago, Illinois
              e-mail jgibson000@...
            • jgibson000@comcast.net
              Message 6 of 11 , Jul 22, 2010
                On 7/22/2010 12:15 PM, jgibson000@... wrote:
                > On 7/22/2010 11:27 AM, chriszeichman wrote:
                >
                >> James Crossley's Why Christianity Happened also addresses the role of economics in formative Christianity. Arnal's book that Stephen notes has a great bibliography on the topic.
                >>
                >> Chris Zeichmann
                >>

                > So too does Douglas E Oakman's /Jesus and the Peasants (Matrix: the
                > Bible in Mediterranean Context/) which can be previewed here
                > <cid:part1.03060700.01070701@...>.
                >
                > You'll also want to have a look at the works on Galilee by Richard
                > Horsley and Sean Freyne.
                >
                > Jeffrey

                I'm changing the header to reflect more accurately the subject under
                discussion.

                Jeffrey B. Gibson, D.Phil. (Oxon)
                1500 W. Pratt Blvd.
                Chicago, Illinois
                e-mail jgibson000@...
              • sfunsten@aol.com
                Message 7 of 11 , Jul 22, 2010
                  Yes! I agree - have read both books and liked them a lot.
                  Thaks for your suggestions,
                  Susana