KINGDOM ETHICS

  • Dennis Goffin
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 22, 2010
      A comment made in respect of my Meditation on COSMOLOGY & APOCALYPTIC was "So far as I know, very few NT scholars believe that Jesus propounded an "interim ethic", let alone that the ethical teaching is a result of any belief on Jesus' part that the world was going to end soon."
      I don't remember Schweitzer being in any numerical majority when he first forced the academic world to face the eschatological context of Jesus' teaching, nor am I aware that the eschatological context has suddenly become airbrushed from the discussion in toto. I accept that I was too limiting in carelessly adopting Schweitzer's term without qualifying it by saying, as does Ehrman, that " Jesus' followers were to live in ways that prepared for this coming Kingdom and that embodied the values that would be manifest completely and finally when it arrived." I have no reason to believe that Ehrman has suddenly become 'old hat' nor that the prime sources under review are incapable of yielding such an exegesis. I accept however that there are many academics who would wish to put a totally different explanation to the same set of facts.
      Dennis Goffin
      Chorleywood UK

    • jgibson000@comcast.net
      Message 2 of 2 , Jul 22, 2010
        On 7/22/2010 4:59 AM, Dennis Goffin wrote:
        > A comment made in respect of my Meditation on COSMOLOGY& APOCALYPTIC was "So far as I know, very few NT scholars believe that Jesus propounded an "interim ethic", let alone that the ethical teaching is a result of any belief on Jesus' part that the world was going to end soon."
        > I don't remember Schweitzer being in any numerical majority when he first forced the academic world to face the eschatological context of Jesus' teaching, nor am I aware that the eschatological context has suddenly become airbrushed from the discussion in toto. I accept that I was too limiting in carelessly adopting Schweitzer's term without qualifying it by saying, as does Ehrman, that " Jesus' followers were to live in ways that prepared for this coming Kingdom and that embodied the values that would be manifest completely and finally when it arrived." I have no reason to believe that Ehrman has suddenly become 'old hat' nor that the prime sources under review are incapable of yielding such an exegesis. I accept however that there are many academics who would wish to put a totally different explanation to the same set of facts.

        You mean like the "fact" that one of Jesus central ethical teachings --
        the necessity of loving one's enemies if one is to show oneself to be a
        true "son" and a member of God's "kingdom" -- is grounded not in a
        perception that the world was going to end soon (even granting that
        /that/ is the thrust of Jesus' "eschatological" language), but in an
        appeal to the nature and character and actions of the creator God?

        Jeffrey B. Gibson, D.Phil. (Oxon)
        1500 W. Pratt Blvd.
        Chicago, Illinois
        e-mail jgibson000@...