New Topic Experiment

  • E Bruce Brooks
    Message 1 of 11 , Jul 21, 2010
      I am writing this note on behalf of a fellow list member, who has been prevented by the system from using this "Start a New Topic" feature. The experiment is meant to see if I (also a member) get the same response. If this note winds up on XTalk, it will mean that my test of the system failed to produce an error message.

      Sorry for the intrusion.

      E Bruce Brooks
      Warring States Project
      University of Massachusetts at Amherst
    • jgibson000@comcast.net
      Message 2 of 11 , Jul 21, 2010
        On 7/21/2010 6:47 PM, E Bruce Brooks wrote:
        > I am writing this note on behalf of a fellow list member, who has been prevented by the system from using this "Start a New Topic" feature. The experiment is meant to see if I (also a member) get the same response. If this note winds up on XTalk, it will mean that my test of the system failed to produce an error message.
        >
        > Sorry for the intrusion.

        There is no start a new topic "feature" on XTalk.

        To begin a new discussion, all one has to do is send an e-mail whose
        subject header reflects the topic that one wants to discuss.

        Jeffrey B. Gibson, D.Phil. (Oxon)
        1500 W. Pratt Blvd.
        Chicago, Illinois
        e-mail jgibson000@...
      • sfunsten@aol.com
        Message 3 of 11 , Jul 21, 2010
          Dear Colleagues:
          I have been a member for several of years. I am a doctoral candidate in New Testament Studies at Claremont Graduate Univ. I am interested in finding out if anyone has come across any information that explores the influence and or/relevance of ancient the economies of Asia Minor and Syria/Palestine in the first to third centuries and the development of Christianity in this area. I have read much material on ancient economies in the Mediterranean region, and even more material on Christian origins, but seldom do the two meet.
          Sincerely,
          Susana de Sola Funsten
          Doctoral Candidate
          Claremont Graduate Univ.
          Claremont, California

        • E Bruce Brooks
          Message 4 of 11 , Jul 22, 2010
            To: XTalk
            On: Features
            From: Bruce

            From the list management, we had "There is no start a new topic
            "feature" on XTalk."

            So I would also have thought, but the earth is deep, and apparently
            there are gremlins down there someplace. A fellow list member had told
            me that at the end of one recent XTalk message there appeared the
            following menu:

            Messages in this topic (4)

            [Links originally present are no longer live in this copy]. When I
            myself clicked on "Start a New Topic," I got a screen with the XTalk
            "Post Message" page, with a nice box all ready. It was from this page
            that I composed and sent the recent test message.

            I haven't myself seen the menu in question, or anyway noticed it. But
            if I go to the XTalk home page, at the left margin I see, under the
            heading Messages, the subheading Post (along with the subheading
            Attachments). It is this Post page to which the link above mentioned
            directed me.

            Yahoo has made a lot of changes in these E-lists since they took over
            years ago from the previous provider. As the manager of several of
            those lists, I have never been informed about any of the changes; they
            just happen. So one doesn't need to lose track of anything, the track
            simply extends itself without our knowledge.

            Big Uncle. It's a little like having Microsoft update your computer,
            whether you want it to or not. The bottom line is that a computer, or
            a listserv niche, is no longer something the presumptive proprietor
            controls, or is even necessarily aware of; it is run, in significant
            and increasing part, by a larger and external agency.

            Bruce

            E Bruce Brooks
            Warring States Project
            University of Massachusetts at Amherst
          • Stephen Carlson
            Message 5 of 11 , Jul 22, 2010
              On Wed, Jul 21, 2010 at 10:42 PM, <sfunsten@...> wrote:
              > I have been a member for several of years. I am a doctoral candidate in
              >New Testament Studies at Claremont Graduate Univ. I am interested in
              >finding out if anyone has come across any information that explores the
              >influence and or/relevance of ancient the economies of Asia Minor and
              >Syria/Palestine in the first to third centuries and the development of
              >Christianity in this area. I have read much material on ancient economies
              >in the Mediterranean region, and even more material on Christian origins,
              >but seldom do the two meet.

              For a study that looks at the economy of first-century Galilee and its influence
              on Christian origins (esp. Q) from a materialist perspective, you might want
              to look at:

              William E. Arnal, Jesus and the Village Scribes: Galilean Conflicts and the
              Setting of Q. Minneapolis: Fortress Press, 2001.

              Stephen Carlson
              Message 6 of 11 , Jul 22, 2010
                And not to be totally self serving, but you also might check out the
                two articles I did last year (vol. 22 May-June 2009 and vol. 23 July-
                August 2009) in "The Fourth R" on the very nature of Jesus' speech and
                what such speech actually seeks to communicate/ engage.

                Gordon Raynal
                Inman, SC
                On Jul 22, 2010, at 9:50 AM, Stephen Carlson wrote:

                > On Wed, Jul 21, 2010 at 10:42 PM, <sfunsten@...> wrote:
                >> I have been a member for several of years. I am a doctoral
                >> candidate in
                >> New Testament Studies at Claremont Graduate Univ. I am interested in
                >> finding out if anyone has come across any information that explores
                >> the
                >> influence and or/relevance of ancient the economies of Asia Minor and
                >> Syria/Palestine in the first to third centuries and the development
                >> of
                >> Christianity in this area. I have read much material on ancient
                >> economies
                >> in the Mediterranean region, and even more material on Christian
                >> origins,
                >> but seldom do the two meet.
                >
                > For a study that looks at the economy of first-century Galilee and
                > its influence
                > on Christian origins (esp. Q) from a materialist perspective, you
                > might want
                > to look at:
                >
                > William E. Arnal, Jesus and the Village Scribes: Galilean Conflicts
                > and the
                > Setting of Q. Minneapolis: Fortress Press, 2001.
                >
                > Stephen Carlson

                > List managers may be contacted directly at: crosstalk2-owners@yahoogroups.com
                >
                > Yahoo! Groups Links

              • Tony Buglass
                Message 7 of 11 , Jul 22, 2010
                  Bruce wrote: "..it is run, in significant
                  and increasing part, by a larger and external agency."

                  Sounds suspiciously like a quote from The HitchHikers Guide to the Galaxy...

                  As far as creating new topics is concerend, I usually just reply to any group email and change the subject line accordingly.

                  Cheers,
                  Rev Tony Buglass
                  Superintendent Minister
                  Upper Calder Methodist Circuit

                • chriszeichman
                  Message 8 of 11 , Jul 22, 2010
                    James Crossley's Why Christianity Happened also addresses the role of economics in formative Christianity. Arnal's book that Stephen notes has a great bibliography on the topic.

                    Chris Zeichmann
                  • jgibson000@comcast.net
                    Message 9 of 11 , Jul 22, 2010
                      On 7/22/2010 11:27 AM, chriszeichman wrote:
                      > James Crossley's Why Christianity Happened also addresses the role of economics in formative Christianity. Arnal's book that Stephen notes has a great bibliography on the topic.
                      >
                      > Chris Zeichmann

                      So too does Douglas E Oakman's /Jesus and the Peasants (Matrix: the
                      Bible in Mediterranean Context/) which can be previewed here
                      <cid:part1.03060700.01070701@...>.

                      You'll also want to have a look at the works on Galilee by Richard
                      Horsley and Sean Freyne.

                      Jeffrey B. Gibson, D.Phil. (Oxon)
                      1500 W. Pratt Blvd.
                      Chicago, Illinois
                      e-mail jgibson000@...
                    • jgibson000@comcast.net
                      Message 10 of 11 , Jul 22, 2010
                        On 7/22/2010 12:15 PM, jgibson000@... wrote:
                        > On 7/22/2010 11:27 AM, chriszeichman wrote:
                        >
                        >> James Crossley's Why Christianity Happened also addresses the role of economics in formative Christianity. Arnal's book that Stephen notes has a great bibliography on the topic.
                        >>
                        >> Chris Zeichmann
                        >>

                        > So too does Douglas E Oakman's /Jesus and the Peasants (Matrix: the
                        > Bible in Mediterranean Context/) which can be previewed here
                        > <cid:part1.03060700.01070701@...>.
                        >
                        > You'll also want to have a look at the works on Galilee by Richard
                        > Horsley and Sean Freyne.
                        >
                        > Jeffrey

                        I'm changing the header to reflect more accurately the subject under
                        discussion.

                        Jeffrey B. Gibson, D.Phil. (Oxon)
                        1500 W. Pratt Blvd.
                        Chicago, Illinois
                        e-mail jgibson000@...
                      • sfunsten@aol.com
                        Message 11 of 11 , Jul 22, 2010
                          Yes! I agree - have read both books and liked them a lot.
                          Thaks for your suggestions,
                          Susana