RE: [XTalk] THE TEMPLE OF THE NEW JERUSALEM

  • E Bruce Brooks
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 6, 2010
      To: Crosstalk
      On: The Jerusalem Temple
      From: Bruce

      LEWIS: We should recall that the members of the Jesus sect continued
      to worship at the Temple after Jesus' death.

      BRUCE: So says Acts. But Acts is notoriously schematic and inventive
      where we would most like it to be historical. Acts, for example,
      considers that the Jerusalem Christians were the only Christians in
      existence in the years immediately after Jesus's death; on other
      grounds, this is very unlikely. Such a picture is quite possibly an
      artifact of what I have called Jerusalemization in the Christian
      movement's idea of its own history (there is a steady increase of
      Jerusalem prominence in the Gospel sequence Mk > Mt > Lk [Acts] > Jn).

      But even for the Jerusalem Christians, who undoubtedly did exist, are
      we safe in taking their Temple worship as an assured fact? What other
      evidence is there? I exclude in advance any tales of Jacob, the
      alleged Brother of the Lord, from hundreds of years later. And lacking
      other evidence, what is suggested by other parts of Acts itself? Does
      it seem as though the Peter cell group, two of whose members he put to
      death for not giving enough money to the collective treasury, was
      worshiping at the Temple? I tend to see them as pretty much off by
      themselves.

      Bruce

      E Bruce Brooks
      Warring States Project
      University of Massachusetts at Amherst
    • Dennis Goffin
      Message 2 of 4 , Jul 6, 2010
        I agree that those Jews who had no economic interest in the Temple and the position of authority that it gave them politically may not have been offended by the Utopian dream of a New Jerusalem and a New Temple. They would in fact have been more likely to have espoused it. The preaching of the imminent end of the current world and talk of the position of the rich and poor being reversed, was, however, strongly destabilising of the status quo, as Josephus recounts regarding the other Messianic pretenders, and my point is that the Jewish establishment didn't like it and framed the preacher on a charge of sedition against Rome.

        Dennis Goffin
        Chorleywood UK