RE: [XTalk] THE TEMPLE OF THE NEW JERUSALEM

  • Lewis Reich
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 5, 2010
      I do not think that would have caused any outrage to the rest of the Jewish
      population. We should recall that the members of the Jesus sect continued
      to worship at the Temple after Jesus' death. If the rest of the Jewish
      community had been so outraged, I think that they would have made some
      difficulty about that.

      The "temple not made with hands" accusation certainly is strange, but of
      course we do not know whether Jesus actually said something along those
      lines or whether the accusation is historical and not simply part of Mark's
      theology.

      Lewis Reich

      List managers may be contacted directly at:
      crosstalk2-owners@yahoogroups.com

      Yahoo! Groups Links
    • E Bruce Brooks
      Message 2 of 4 , Jul 6, 2010
        To: Crosstalk
        On: The Jerusalem Temple
        From: Bruce

        LEWIS: We should recall that the members of the Jesus sect continued
        to worship at the Temple after Jesus' death.

        BRUCE: So says Acts. But Acts is notoriously schematic and inventive
        where we would most like it to be historical. Acts, for example,
        considers that the Jerusalem Christians were the only Christians in
        existence in the years immediately after Jesus's death; on other
        grounds, this is very unlikely. Such a picture is quite possibly an
        artifact of what I have called Jerusalemization in the Christian
        movement's idea of its own history (there is a steady increase of
        Jerusalem prominence in the Gospel sequence Mk > Mt > Lk [Acts] > Jn).

        But even for the Jerusalem Christians, who undoubtedly did exist, are
        we safe in taking their Temple worship as an assured fact? What other
        evidence is there? I exclude in advance any tales of Jacob, the
        alleged Brother of the Lord, from hundreds of years later. And lacking
        other evidence, what is suggested by other parts of Acts itself? Does
        it seem as though the Peter cell group, two of whose members he put to
        death for not giving enough money to the collective treasury, was
        worshiping at the Temple? I tend to see them as pretty much off by
        themselves.

        Bruce

        E Bruce Brooks
        Warring States Project
        University of Massachusetts at Amherst
      • Dennis Goffin
        Message 3 of 4 , Jul 6, 2010
          I agree that those Jews who had no economic interest in the Temple and the position of authority that it gave them politically may not have been offended by the Utopian dream of a New Jerusalem and a New Temple. They would in fact have been more likely to have espoused it. The preaching of the imminent end of the current world and talk of the position of the rich and poor being reversed, was, however, strongly destabilising of the status quo, as Josephus recounts regarding the other Messianic pretenders, and my point is that the Jewish establishment didn't like it and framed the preacher on a charge of sedition against Rome.

          Dennis Goffin
          Chorleywood UK