Re: [XTalk] Parallelomania

  • David Mealand
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 14, 2010
      Rick Hubbard raises some good issues
      with regard to parallels.

      The discussion is obviously more geared
      to parallels within a set of biblical texts.
      So to begin there, it would be worth looking
      at those studies of Synoptic parallels
      which have paid attention to identity of
      form and sequence in the parallel texts.

      On this see
      Poirier John C. 2008 'Statistical Studies
      of the Verbal Agreements and their Impact on
      the Synoptic Problem', CBR 7 68-123
      On pp.85-87 he notes Morgenthaler's focus
      on parallels which are, or are not, identical
      in form and sequence (Form und Folge identisch
      abbrev as FFI). There may be more discussion
      in Poirier's article, but this is the place to start.

      The list of different types of possible parallel
      goes wider and the list Rick Hubbard cites
      includes parallels with texts from the
      Hebrew Bible. Presumably the broader
      question has to include also other Jewish
      and Graeco-Roman texts, (and more).
      I can't vouch for the details but I
      would be surprised if Gerald Downing's
      work of 1985 did not have some discussion of this.
      The book may not be easy to track down
      but would be worth the effort despite the
      disarming word "introductory". It is:
      Downing, F. Gerald (Francis Gerald), 1935-
      Strangely familiar : an introductory reader
      to the first century ; to the life and loves,
      the hopes and fears, the doubts and
      certainties of pagans, Jews and Christians /
      208p ; Manchester : F. Gerald Downing, 1985.
      [Karlsruhe gave a dozen or so hits for UK
      libraries, but not for German libraries or LOC.]

      Items spun from the new Wetstein project
      should also touch on this wider aspect.

      David M.

      ---------
      David Mealand, University of Edinburgh

      -----------

      Scotland, with registration number SC005336.
    • Bob Webb
      Message 2 of 2 , Jun 15, 2010
        Hi,

        We had a discussion of parallels in the introduction to the following
        volume, to which I contributed. How helpful it would be, I'm not sure. But
        I'll draw it to your attention.

        Evans, Craig A.; Robert L. Webb, and Richard A. Wiebe. _Nag Hammadi Texts
        and the Bible: A Synopsis and Index_. New Testament Tools and Studies 18.
        Leiden: E. J. Brill, 1993.

        Bob Webb.

        --
        The University of Edinburgh is a charitable body, registered in Scotland,
        with registration number SC005336.

        List managers may be contacted directly at:
        crosstalk2-owners@yahoogroups.com

        Yahoo! Groups Links