Fw: the king in 1 Pt

  • Franco Potente
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 27, 2009
      Dear all
      in 1 Pt 2:13 and 2:17 one finds the invitation to submit to the king, to honor the king. The greek word behind "king" is, as I think, basileus. The phrase is commonly understood as referring to the roman emperor. Now, I wonder if there are any other passages in the NT where the emperor is called basileus instead of caesar. This use of basileus for the emperor, though absolutely common in the koiné, has stricken me in this text, I would expect to find kaisar here. Are we sure that here basileus = roman emperor? And if not, can we still think that babylon of 1P 5:13 is indeed Rome? Could it not be the real babylon? or any other land governed, as was usual, by a king, or even a generic place of exile?

      Apologies for my bad english

      Franco Potente
      Genova Italy

    • Ken Olson
      Message 2 of 2 , Mar 4, 2010
        Franco,

        In 1 Pet 2.13-14, the author is urging the addressees to to be subject to the BASILEUJ (I would translate "ruler") and the governors sent by him. The addressees of the letter in 1.1 are the exiles of the dispersion in Pontus, Galatia, Cappadocia, and Bithynia. I can't think of anyone besides the emperor who would be sending governors to those places, which are Roman provinces.

        Best wishes,

        Ken

        Ken Olson
        PhD Candidate, New Testament, Duke University

        To: crosstalk2@yahoogroups.com
        From: franco.potente@...
        Date: Thu, 27 Aug 2009 16:59:40 +0200
        Subject: [XTalk] Fw: the king in 1 Pt

        Dear all

        in 1 Pt 2:13 and 2:17 one finds the invitation to submit to the king, to honor the king. The greek word behind "king" is, as I think, basileus. The phrase is commonly understood as referring to the roman emperor. Now, I wonder if there are any other passages in the NT where the emperor is called basileus instead of caesar. This use of basileus for the emperor, though absolutely common in the koin�, has stricken me in this text, I would expect to find kaisar here. Are we sure that here basileus = roman emperor? And if not, can we still think that babylon of 1P 5:13 is indeed Rome? Could it not be the real babylon? or any other land governed, as was usual, by a king, or even a generic place of exile?