RE: [XTalk] Parable of the Two Sons

  • David C Hindley
    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 10, 2010
      Bob,

      I think you have it on the nose. The question Jesus poses is not which of the two sons was polite or insulting, but rather which son
      did his father's "will." Many folks can attest to reacting negatively to the requests or demands of others, but upon thinking the
      matter through decides it is better to comply.

      As a reaction to criticism that JtB had attracted tax collectors and prostitutes as followers, he says that their initial disregard
      to adhere to god's commands was not as important as their ultimate decision to follow god's will. This is contrasted to people who
      paid him public praise but privately did not take his message to heart. Urging people to return to following god's will is part of
      the prophetic tradition, and I think those influenced by that tradition would think that it trumps conventions of honor-shame.

      As a result, I believe this argues against an interpretation *based* on honor-shame. At best it adds color to the analysis.

      Respectfully,

      Dave Hindley
      Newton Falls, Ohio USA