Re: [XTalk] Parable of the Two Sons

    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 9, 2010
      At 05:54 AM 1/9/2010, Rikk Watts wrote:
      >Hi Bob,
      >
      >Trust this finds you well (been a long while).
      >
      >Yes, I think essentially that's the point. What matters is to do the will of
      >God, not just to give lip service.

      Thanks for your extensive analysis!
      Bob

> [...]
      >authority to do these things, he zeroes in (21:23-27) on their response to
      >John by asking them about their assessment of him. This makes sense to me,
      >given that John is apparently for Matt Malachi¹s prophesied Elijah redivivus
      >(17:12-13) whose task was to prepare for Yahweh¹s personal return to the
      >Temple (aside: ... so that¹s why Matt¹s Jesus behaves as he does.. whatever
      >else Jesus is also the embodiment of Yahweh¹s personal presence.. hmm).
      >Since in Malachi Elijah¹s job was to prepare that generation lest Yahweh in
      >his coming smite the land with a curse (cf. Matt¹s immediately preceding
      >Temple and fig tree incidents), it was the hierarchs¹ failure to do the will
      >of God by submitting to John¹s baptism in preparation for Yahweh¹s personal
      >coming that authorizes Jesus¹ Temple action.
      >
      >It¹s in this context that Jesus tells this story of the two sons (given the
      >present context ³son² takes on more significance; Israel was called to be
      >God¹s ³son² [Exod 4:22; cf. Deut 32:18] ‹ Israel¹s destiny turns on this
      >point). The leaders are like the sons who while saying they will do not do
      >the work of their father¹s vineyard, viz. they did not listen to John (don¹t
      >forget to include the all important v.32 ³For John...²). And immediately
      >after? The parable of the wicked tenants who did not give the owner the due
      >produce of his ... vineyard (cf. as most see Isa 5¹s vineyard song where
      >Israel is seen as God¹s vineyard who was to produce fruits of righteousness;
      >i.e. live according to God¹s will).
      >
      >So yes, the importance of doing what one will say. But more located too. If
      >Israel is going to claim to be God¹s faithful children, they need to follow
      >Jesus (at the baptism and transfiguration declared to be God¹s son) and do
      >his vision of righteousness (5:20).
      >
      >Well there¹s my two cents (or toonies) worth. Hope it¹s helpful; if not feel
      >free to chuck it.
      >
      >Best
      >
      >Rikk
      >
      > > From: Bob Schacht <bobschacht@...>
      > > Date: Thu, 07 Jan 2010 23:33:29 -0700
      > > To: xtalk <crosstalk2@yahoogroups.com>
      > > Subject: [XTalk] Parable of the Two Sons
      > >
      > > Will some exegete please explain Matthew 21:28-31 to me? Is Jesus
      > > saying that what you do is more important than what you say? I'm
      > > often confused by such matters. I'd pull out my copy of The Five
      > > Gospels, or The Interpreter's Bible, but they're packed away.
      > >
      > > 28 "What do you think? A man had two sons; he went to the first and
      > > said, 'Son, go and work in the vineyard today.'
      > > 29 He answered, 'I will not'; but later he changed his mind and went.
      > > 30 The father went to the second and said the same; and he answered,
      > > 'I go, sir'; but he did not go.
      > > 31 Which of the two did the will of his father?" They said, "The
      > > first." Jesus said to them, "Truly I tell you, the tax collectors and
      > > the prostitutes are going into the kingdom of God ahead of you.

    • David C Hindley
      Message 2 of 6 , Jan 10, 2010
        Bob,

        I think you have it on the nose. The question Jesus poses is not which of the two sons was polite or insulting, but rather which son
        did his father's "will." Many folks can attest to reacting negatively to the requests or demands of others, but upon thinking the
        matter through decides it is better to comply.

        As a reaction to criticism that JtB had attracted tax collectors and prostitutes as followers, he says that their initial disregard
        to adhere to god's commands was not as important as their ultimate decision to follow god's will. This is contrasted to people who
        paid him public praise but privately did not take his message to heart. Urging people to return to following god's will is part of
        the prophetic tradition, and I think those influenced by that tradition would think that it trumps conventions of honor-shame.

        As a result, I believe this argues against an interpretation *based* on honor-shame. At best it adds color to the analysis.

        Respectfully,

        Dave Hindley
        Newton Falls, Ohio USA