Re: [XTalk] Wisdom Literature

    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 13, 2009
      Hi Bruce,

      On Nov 13, 2009, at 4:28 PM, E Bruce Brooks wrote:

      > To: Crosstalk
      > Cc: WSW, GPG
      > On: Wisdom Literature
      > From: Bruce
      >
      > GORDON: If your grandchild is in the yard by the road and the ball
      > rolls
      > across the street and she's after it, yelling "look both ways before
      > you cross the street" (a very important proverbial form of wisdom
      > communication in the age of automated vehicles!), the aim of the
      > speech is not first educational, but rather to get her to pay
      > attention to the world around her so she can safely navigate that
      > world and in this situation return to her play.
      >
      > BRUCE: Not in a million years. You either grab her (the classic
      > Mencius
      > response), or if she's too far to reach, you scream "stop!"

      Those would be wisdom responses, as well!

      > Proverbial sayings of the kind quoted are quite different: they
      > amount to
      > advice in advance, delivered in calm situations and in anticipation
      > of events;
      > they are not correctives applied in the middle of events.

      Your note provides an understanding of wisdom that is centrally
      cognitively focused in nature, both in terms of common and parabolic
      wisdom. Another route to understand this form of communication is
      not in terms of advice or intellectual fodder, but in terms of sense
      arousing communication that evokes a whole self response... arousing
      attention to what the senses are taking in, the emotional responses,
      the cognition that arouses from the former and the bodily and
      behavioral responses. Common forms of wisdom communication, in such
      an understanding, point out some of the ordinary and usual aspects of
      "happenings" and such as aphorisms and some parables point out the
      extra-ordinary/ non-ordinary qualities of "happenings." In this
      understanding of wisdom, when one is with company, then a form of
      bantering can arise that involves the participants in "making
      sense" (to use the common parlance) of the circumstances that are
      going on. Likewise, within oneself one can "go a-musing" by such
      language, which yes can include evaluations and problem solving
      reflections, but may also simply lead to poetical/ artistic kinds of
      solving uses of this sort of speech. Those, too, are uses of the
      speech. Often the "present tense primacy" of what speech can evoke
      gets overlooked and hence my focus in this way.

      Gordon Raynal
      Inman, SC