New Book

  • Lisbeth S. Fried
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 26, 2009
      Dear All,

      Prof. Herbert Basser requested that I post this to the various lists.

      (My apologies for cross-posting.)

      Lisbeth S. Fried

      Ann Arbor

      The Mind Behind the Gospels: A Commentary to Matthew Chapters 1-14
      by Herbert Basser
      Cloth: ISBN 978-1-934843-33-8, 396 pp. $69.00
      Paper: ISBN 978-1-934843-34-5, 396 pp. $35.00
      Review copies available upon request.
      Topic Areas: New Testament Studies, Bible Studies, Talmudic Studies
      Level: Undergraduate or Graduate

      Publisher: ACADEMIC STUDIES PRESS

      the Gospel in his study of Matthew through the lens of Jewish texts. These
      texts, skillfully interpreted by Basser, illuminate the powerful poetry and
      mystery behind much of Matthew’s genius in reworking evangelist’s sources.
      These Jewish materials provide a creative, cultural way of thinking about
      what God expects from human beings that is infused with the words and images
      of Matthew. Basser shows how Jewish idioms and artistry move the speeches,
      story, and figure of Jesus, through various layers of Church tradition, from
      a Jewish preacher to a Gentile savior. Each chapter of commentary is
      preceded by a preliminary discussion and the book is introduced by a
      scholarly yet accessible preface and introduction discussing the
      methodological issues of the commentary as a whole. In many ways, this book
      deepens Basser’s initial views of the New Testament in his Studies in
      Exegesis, Leiden and Boston, E.J. Brill, 2000. The present book will appeal
      to a broad audience of knowledgeable readers of any or no faith
      For more information or to order, please see our website at
      <http://www.academicstudiespress.com> www.academicstudiespress.com or email
      us at <mailto:sales@...>
      sales@....