Re: [XTalk] Peter talk

    Message 1 of 13 , Jul 22, 2009
      Hi Bob,
      On Jul 22, 2009, at 5:06 AM, Bob Schacht wrote:

      > As you may recall, Gordon Raynal picked up my challenge and we had a
      > go at it for a couple of weeks, with welcome participation by a few
      > others. My questions were inspired by the description of Peter's role
      > in the beginning chapters of Acts.

      It was an enjoyable chat.

      now cutting to one of your paragraphs...
      > Also, his stress on the skandalon might also make it easier to
      > understand why Mark does not say all that much about the
      > resurrection. Mark doesn't say this, but the implication to me was
      > that if the skandalon is the main point of the gospel, then the
      > resurrection is, in a sense, anticlimactic.

      Interesting. Why say "anticlimactic?" How about considering the
      function of resurrection affirmation regarding the way the good news
      story is told/ the message is affirmed?

      For Paul (per Romans 1) Jesus is "declared Son of God with power
      according to the spirit of holiness by the resurrection from the
      dead..." (NRSV).

      For Mark God says in 1:11, "You are my Son, the Beloved; with you I
      am well pleased." (NRSV) and this is after John baptizes him.

      Doing theology Paul's way then per I Cor. 15 the authority of the
      apostles is lined up by Paul in terms of "opthe's" of the risen
      Jesus... and it, of course, is a decidedly male oriented listing.
      Doing theology Mark's way focuses attention on Jesus in ministry and
      it is most decidedly the nameless woman who anoints Jesus while he is
      quite alive who is the model for discerning faith and therefore a
      (the? for the Markan community???) key testifier for the future.
      (in Mark 14:9 Mark's Jesus says of her, "Truly I tell you, where the
      good news is proclaimed in the whole world, what she has done will be
      told in remembrance of her.") Resurrection announcement is part of
      both kinds of communication, but it functions differently. And then
      besides that, resurrection is just a necessary journey stage
      description. The proverbial end of the story until "THE END" is that
      Jesus has got to get up to that throne on "the right hand of the
      Father:)!" Resurrection is never the climax for any of the early
      materials that use this affirmation formula.

      Gordon Raynal
      Inman, SC