Re: [XTalk] Peter talk

    Message 1 of 13 , Jul 22, 2009
      Way back on 5/3/2009, I wrote:
      >Well, I am still hoping for more feedback on my Peter thesis. But I
      >am still intrigued by it. ...

      As you may recall, Gordon Raynal picked up my challenge and we had a
      go at it for a couple of weeks, with welcome participation by a few
      others. My questions were inspired by the description of Peter's role
      in the beginning chapters of Acts.

      Now Mark Goodacre has returned to the subject

      ><http://podacre.blogspot.com/2009/07/nt-pod-5-simon-peter-in-marks-gospel.html>NT
      >Pod 5: Simon Peter in Mark's Gospel
      >

      >The fifth episode of the NT Pod discusses Mark's depiction of Simon
      >Peter and the disciples, noting the use of the language of the
      >skandalon or "stumbling block" with respect to the idea of the
      >crucified Christ.
      >
      >It is just under eight minutes long. ....
      http://podacre.blogspot.com/2009/07/nt-pod-5-simon-peter-in-marks-gospel.html

      It is an interesting look at Peter, mainly according to the Gospel of Mark.
      I guess I'm an old fuddy duddy, because I prefer the printed word to
      Goodacre's charming British accent.
      Because Mark's delivery is spoken, rather than written, I cannot
      easily cut and paste a few things to talk about.
      But one of the interesting thoughts in Goodacre's oration is to draw
      our attention to the Parable of the Sower, and the section on Rocky
      ground, as a coded (and punny) reference to Peter (Rocky). I don't
      recall ever hearing that suggestion before.

      Goodacre also suggests, if I understood correctly, that Mark's Peter
      is a kind of Everyman: that is, someone capable of both insight and
      folly, with whom we are meant to identify. In other words, perhaps
      there is a pastoral element to the story in addition to the history
      that we usually look for.

      Also, his stress on the skandalon might also make it easier to
      understand why Mark does not say all that much about the
      resurrection. Mark doesn't say this, but the implication to me was
      that if the skandalon is the main point of the gospel, then the
      resurrection is, in a sense, anticlimactic.

      I hope that a written version of your podcast will be available soon.

      Anyway, do give a listen, and let us know what you think.

      Bob Schacht
      Honolulu

    • Mark Goodacre
      Message 2 of 13 , Jul 22, 2009
        Thanks for the plug and the comments, Bob. I have added some short
        programme notes over on my NT Blog at
        http://ntweblog.blogspot.com/2009/07/nt-pod-5-simon-peter-in-mark-programme.html
        . I also already have an article on the topic which explores the
        portrayal of Peter in Mark and Matthew. It was published in 2006 in a
        Fs for Henry Wansbrough, but since Fs articles get little attention, I
        plan to make it available online. I also plan a future episode of the
        NT Pod on Peter in Matthew. Cheers, Mark.

        --
        Mark Goodacre Goodacre@...
        Associate Professor

        http://www.markgoodacre.org
        Message 3 of 13 , Jul 22, 2009
          Hi Bob,
          On Jul 22, 2009, at 5:06 AM, Bob Schacht wrote:

          > As you may recall, Gordon Raynal picked up my challenge and we had a
          > go at it for a couple of weeks, with welcome participation by a few
          > others. My questions were inspired by the description of Peter's role
          > in the beginning chapters of Acts.

          It was an enjoyable chat.

          now cutting to one of your paragraphs...

          > Also, his stress on the skandalon might also make it easier to
          > understand why Mark does not say all that much about the
          > resurrection. Mark doesn't say this, but the implication to me was
          > that if the skandalon is the main point of the gospel, then the
          > resurrection is, in a sense, anticlimactic.

          Interesting. Why say "anticlimactic?" How about considering the
          function of resurrection affirmation regarding the way the good news
          story is told/ the message is affirmed?

          For Paul (per Romans 1) Jesus is "declared Son of God with power
          according to the spirit of holiness by the resurrection from the
          dead..." (NRSV).

          For Mark God says in 1:11, "You are my Son, the Beloved; with you I
          am well pleased." (NRSV) and this is after John baptizes him.

          Doing theology Paul's way then per I Cor. 15 the authority of the
          apostles is lined up by Paul in terms of "opthe's" of the risen
          Jesus... and it, of course, is a decidedly male oriented listing.
          Doing theology Mark's way focuses attention on Jesus in ministry and
          it is most decidedly the nameless woman who anoints Jesus while he is
          quite alive who is the model for discerning faith and therefore a
          (the? for the Markan community???) key testifier for the future.
          (in Mark 14:9 Mark's Jesus says of her, "Truly I tell you, where the
          good news is proclaimed in the whole world, what she has done will be
          told in remembrance of her.") Resurrection announcement is part of
          both kinds of communication, but it functions differently. And then
          besides that, resurrection is just a necessary journey stage
          description. The proverbial end of the story until "THE END" is that
          Jesus has got to get up to that throne on "the right hand of the
          Father:)!" Resurrection is never the climax for any of the early
          materials that use this affirmation formula.

          Gordon Raynal
          Inman, SC