Re: [XTalk] English translation of Pierson & Naber's _Verisimilia_?

    Message 1 of 9 , Jul 11, 2009
      At 12:01 PM 7/11/2009, Stephen C. Carlson wrote:
      >On Jul 11, 2009 1:14 PM, "David C. Hindley" <dhindley@...> wrote:
      > >What I recall was looking at a web page by someone who owned a copy of the
      > >original and offered his opinion as to its "brilliance." My only
      > exposure has been
      > >the comments in Schweitzer, who faults them for only offering a hypothesis
      > >without arguing out their points in detail.
      >
      >My impression of Pierson & Naber is more that they show how the texts of
      >Paul (plus Acts and John) ought to be stratified based on their hypothesis,
      >rather than actually making a case for it.
      >
      > >I am not endorsing Dutch radical criticism, although IMHO many modern
      > critics
      > >make similar assumptions about the processes and likely historical
      > developments
      > >that contributed to early Christianity as we know it from the NT and
      > early Christian
      > >literature. I would like to get a better idea of what kinds of issues
      > spurred on the
      > >likes of Loman, etc, without having to enroll in graduate school or
      > learn how to
      > >properly read ecclesiastical Latin.
      >
      >I only made the point about the Dutch radical criticism in assessing its
      >likelihood
      >of being translated. A lot of those works remained in Dutch and German
      >and were
      >never translated into English. Their main audience after the decline of
      >the school
      >is primarily only those scholars with a bent for the history of biblical
      >criticism. I
      >have a feeling grad school wouldn't help very much for learning more about
      >them
      >(many professors find the history of scholarship dreadful), but learning
      >German,
      >Dutch, and modern Latin and reading their works first-hand would.
      >
      >Stephen

      Would Leudeman be any help in getting a handle on this work?

    • David C. Hindley
      Message 2 of 9 , Jul 12, 2009
        You mean Gerd Luedemann?

        _Opposition to Paul in Jewish Christianity_ translated by M. Eugene Boring.(1989)

        _Paul, the founder of Christianity_ (2002)

        Or did you mean Hermann L.?

        Dave Hindley

        Message 3 of 9 , Jul 12, 2009
          At 11:52 AM 7/12/2009, David C. Hindley wrote:
          >You mean Gerd Luedemann?
          >
          >_Opposition to Paul in Jewish Christianity_ translated by M. Eugene
          >Boring.(1989)
          >
          >_Paul, the founder of Christianity_ (2002)

          No, I was thinking about Gerd, particularly since he did a Seminar with us
          a while back.

          Bob

          >Or did you mean Hermann L.?
          >
          >Dave Hindley
          >
          >--- In crosstalk2@yahoogroups.com, Bob Schacht <r_schacht@...> wrote:
          > >
          > > Would Leudeman be any help in getting a handle on this work?
          > >
          > > Bob

          >List managers may be contacted directly at: crosstalk2-owners@yahoogroups.com
          >
          >Yahoo! Groups Links

        • Stephen C. Carlson
          Message 4 of 9 , Jul 12, 2009
            On Jul 12, 2009 6:32 PM, Bob Schacht <r_schacht@...> wrote:
            >No, I was thinking about Gerd, particularly since he did a Seminar with us
            >a while back.

            Well, Gerd is much more conservative with the state of the text than
            Pierson and Naber.

            Stephen

            --
            Stephen C. Carlson
            Message 5 of 9 , Jul 12, 2009
              At 01:42 PM 7/12/2009, Stephen C. Carlson wrote:
              >On Jul 12, 2009 6:32 PM, Bob Schacht <r_schacht@...> wrote:
              > >No, I was thinking about Gerd, particularly since he did a Seminar with us
              > >a while back.
              >
              >Well, Gerd is much more conservative with the state of the text than
              >Pierson and Naber.

              That may be, but I'm guessing that he is fluent in the language Pierson &
              Naber wrote in, and might be able to discuss honestly with us what they are
              suggesting?

              Bob