Re: [XTalk] What was the language of the original sayings source?

  • Ron Price
    Message 1 of 2 , May 25, 2009
      Bob Schacht wrote:

      > ....... The main point of interest to me at this point is a
      > different motive for writing the Gospels than I remember before: The idea
      > that the main written sources about Jesus before the Gospels, before or
      > maybe even contemporaneous with Paul's letters, was an Aramaic sayings
      > source, so that the purpose of the Greek Gospels was to introduce Jesus to
      > a Greek audience. This might even point to the period of Paul's Greek
      > churches, which would have stimulated a demand for more information about
      > this Jesus dude.
      >
      > What evidence is there for, and against, such a hypothesis?

      Bob,

      The evidence *against* Q as an Aramaic source is set out in Kloppenborg's
      "Excavating Q", pp. 72-80.

      The evidence *for* an Aramaic sayings source ca. 45 CE (earlier than Paul's
      letters!) is set out in the section of my Web site headed "Synoptic gospel
      sources", and starts on the page shown below.

      Ron Price

      Derbyshire, UK