singing (and versing up) the Kingdom Way (addendum note 2)

    Message 1 of 1 , May 21 9:21 AM
      Hi Bob and all interested,

      I started with the table fellowship singing of Psalms in Jesus'
      lifetime. This note offers suggested Psalms that may have been sung
      to stir up the "Fruits of the Spirit," "the way of wisdom from
      above," "the way of Life." Again, simply suggested examples.

      Here's Paul's credo/ motto of the ethos of the Kingdom of God folks:
      Galatians 5:22-23: "By contrast, the fruit of the Spirit is love,
      joy, peace, patience, kindness, generosity, faithfulness, gentleness
      and self control."
      As I've already pointed to "peace way" Psalms, let me just offer
      examples of the Psalms that may have been sung to continue to stir up
      spirits regarding the other attributes of sharing and living this "way."

      love: The "hesed" of God is featured in many, many Psalms. Psalm
      136 opens with and repeats and repeats "for his steadfast love
      endures forever" in relationship to the Torah story of the founding
      of God's Covenant people. I'll highlight vs. 25, "who gives food to
      all flesh, for his steadfast love endures forever."

      joy: Psalm 100, of course, is a lovely brief Psalm that calls for
      song and Psalm 150 closes the Psalter will the final calls to musical
      living!

      patience: many, many Psalms seek to inspire this. Here I'll note
      Psalm 37 and note the opening of verses 7 and 30: "Be still before
      the Lord, and wait patiently for him... The mouths of the righteous
      utter wisdom...."

      kindness and generosity: Again, many, many Psalms celebrate God's
      "loving-kindness." Psalm 113 asks, "Who is like the Lord our
      God...?" Such a question also raises the question of acting in the
      kindly ways that "... raises the poor from the dust..." and "gives
      the barren woman a home..." James 1:27 famously will sum up what
      "pure and undefiled" religion is about.

      faithfulness (trust): Lots of this sung about in the Psalms! Psalm
      16 is a potent one and closes with: "You show me the path of life.
      In your presence there is fullness of joy; in your right hand are
      pleasure forevermore."

      gentleness: I again refer to Jesus' words about God's care of
      sparrows and so Psalm 84. In a time when the Temple was clearly
      corrupted, sharing this "sense" and "spirit" at table in homes made
      for experienced gentleness.

      self control. Here I'll end this post with a poetic recitation from
      the wisdom literature. Proverbs 25:28- "Like a city breached,
      without walls, is one who lacks self control."

      Plenty more examples might be raised up, but such song and verse, and
      so singing and poetic recitation would serve (and continue to serve)
      to make this "Fruit" a shared experience.

      Will write the last note on the kerygma tomorrow.

      Gordon Raynal
      Inman, SC